She's not a diabetic

biggav2609

dear twisty,

I would firstly like to ask what you mean by i single out my daughter and treat her differently to her brother and other children, could you please explain where in any of my comments have i said or implied otherwise. My children are treated exactly the same as siblings should be, nor do i treat any other children differently to how i would my own and i certainly do NOT think or teach my children to think that they are better than anybody else. We live in a run down council estate, with not a penny to our name therefore we are not a family that look down on others we are usually the ones that are being looked down at. All comments and opinions i have made to you have been based on the facts contained within your posts, i have not been presumptious in making false allegations regarding to the up bringing of your children so i would appreachiate it if you offered me the same courtesy.
I understand that we all have our down days and i accept that your original post was one of those days, what i dont accept is that you have made a post for all to see and can quite easily take on board people saying poor you and sympathising with you but you cannot handle someone objecting with what you have to say, someone who is living what your living, someone who knows what your going through. Im sorry but its my turn to be frank, i understand everyone deals with things differently but you need to get a grip and come to terms with the fact yes your daughter IS A DIABETIC and yes life will go on. If you cant come to terms with it then how the hell is your daughter going to and thats one of the reasons why when i read your post i had to comment on it, i havent commented on any posts before because i usually just read other peoples views and tips on living with diabetes and to know how others are feeling about it all but when i read yours i thought i had to comment. Im an opinionated person as you can probably tell and i found your post insulting to people out there who have seriously ill children who for example are having to watch their child have chemo and not knowing whether they are going to live or die but yet have to stay positive and stay strong for their childs sake, another example they have a child that has a severely disabling brain disorder and will never be able to talk or walk and needs 24 hr round the clock care day in day out, those are the people who i sympathise with not people who go on like their child has been given a death sentence, having an attitude of 'why my daughter' and poor me.
Our daughter may have only been diagnosed recently but i am quite sure that her positive and care free attitude will remain because us as her parents will make sure that we encourage her to stay positive and we will always maintain a positive attitude towards her diabetes and in doing so she will also.
I dont like your defensive attitude towards me and i do not like how me commenting on your post has caused all this fuss,to be quite honest im a nice person who believe it or not usually avoids confrontation regardless of how opinionated i am. I think its terrible that what should have been a friendly discussion and exchange of opinions regarding our children has turned out to be a childish, immature slanging match. Up until now i had been respectful and polite towards you but you just had to take it to another level and therefore i have too. Im not going to continue this any longer, i am never going on another chat forum concerning a subject i feel strongly about ever again including this one you have put me right off.
I wish you and your family well and i genuinely hope that you everything works out for you all,
this will be the last you here from me,
kind regards
Emma

Grazer

Hey Emma, don't leave because you fell out with one person. I've done it lots on here! But I've also got lots of useful advice. You'll be a valuable contributor I'm sure, but just as important, you'll get help from others in looking after your daughter from people on here in similar circumstances. Deep breath now! :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Yes I agree, no one likes Grazer but he still sticks around. :twisted:

Stay a bit longer Emma, you were just unlucky in your choice of thread.

twisty

biggav2609-dramatic much??

I came online to get support from other people, I didn't ask for a lecture on what I should be doing and feeling, nor did I want this thread to turn into a bitching session.

It's amazing though, that a bitching session draws more attention and replies than when someone posts asking for help/advice, the thread could be left up for days without a reply.

To those who posted with their experiences and ensuring me that it's ok to have down days, thank you.
This thread has taught me that it's better not to ask for support here online, so I'll lurk from now on, it's obviously the safest place!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Diabetics are bitches. :wink:

biggav2609

Dear grazer and borofergie
Thankyou very much its nice to know that not everyone is against me, i will take your advice and continue to use this site but i doubt i shall be commenting on someone elses post in future unless its me agreeing with everything they have to say lol.
I wish you and your families the best of luck for the future and i hope our paths cross again.
kind regards
Emma xxxx

sugar2

Emma..I agree, please stay! I found you post inspiring, and I am certainly interested in your situation.

Twisty....have you been able to find out whether there are any local groups that your daughter could attend? By this I mean groups of otherr children who have T1. It sounds horrible when written down...but in actual fact can be very helpful..or it was for me.

It was nice to be normal...evryone tested, everyone injected, and teh fact that some ofteh yound men wre ratherr good looking and cool (which I wasn't...nothing to do with diabetes mind!0 helped make it was somehwere I wanted to go.

I offer thsi in support, not telling you what to do, but it might be worth considering?

Course you are angry..and rightly so, but I agree with the sentiment of making the best of a bad situation.

biggav2609

hi twisty,
Im glad to hear that all is well with your daughter, it was very responsible of you to have agreed/arranged for your daughter see a psychologist with you saying that she has issues in regards to her diabetes so hopefully these issues can be resolved with the help of others. Im sure the psychologist also informed you about the importance of positive thinking and challenging negative thought patterns, if he didnt then perhaps it would be a good idea to ask him about this so that he can provide you with the relevant information to improve your knowledge on the matter. Also i would like to point out that any good psychologist would not say that it is not a good thing to praise your children for achievements that they have made, Praising your children plays an important role for the development of their self confidence so i find it hard to believe that anyone with a child psychology degree would have a professional opinion of that it is a bad thing to praise your children, i quote 'put on a pedestal for being brave'.
I must say that the individuals class is a good suggestion by your psychologist. In a board meeting that i had insisted on before my daughter returned to school after diagnosis i arranged for a diabetes lesson to take place where the children would learn all about it. Her school did a fantastic job in making the lesson fun and informative and i feel that this is has contributed to her peers being so acceptive of the diagnosis and also in gaining their interest in the condition. The school obviously did not tell the class that my daughter had diabetes when doing the lesson because the object of the lesson was for the children to learn about the condition. The decision was left to my daughter when to tell her friends and she was very quick to announce it to everyone. She is a very laid back confident little girl and she loves telling people all about how much she knows about diabetes and is happy to explain it to anyone who will listen and therefore likes the fact of having her friends watch her when testing her blood. I recommend for all parents with children newly diagnosed to insist on their childs school having a lesson explaining what diabetes is when their child returns to school. I have found it to be very helpful for the children in her class aswell as for my daughter, her friends have even started to pick up on when she is going low because hypos were covered in the diabetes lesson which i think is brilliant.
Twisty i hope you start to feel better about things soon and your daughter too, your right we do all have our down days and maintaining a positive attitude and outlook will allow us to deal with those days far better.
I wish you all well and i hope you have a lovely christmas.
kind regards

emma