Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
April 1st and shielding has ended

Has any shielders ventured out?

I have stayed in I’m not confident yet about going anywhere but I’m longing to visit a few garden centres but fear they will be extremely busy

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Mmm not ventured out - all seems a little too mad for me :coldfeet:

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll wait for 3 weeks after my second dose before considering anything other than work which I don't have a choice about. Been getting out for exercise but always in places away from others. No desire to go into a shop etc for a while!

Last edited:

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Yes but I go really early. Although stupidLay forgot schools today so the first bit was slightly busy. Went into Tesco, and it was far busier than I’m used to, I’ve only been in twice since Xmas.
But overall I’m only out for a walk when very few are out and about. Got to go back to work in just over a week and sit in a car so have to ge tuned to it. I’ve only been shielding since beginning of feb so probably not as alien for me

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes my wife has met her daughters and grandchildren in gardens for the first time in six months

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It looks busy out there. Have become used to staying away from people, and some people I would have liked to spend time with are no longer living. So, will make use of being able to meet in garden. People I care about can call for a cuppa on the patio. Will be taking baby steps. At least until the masses that have decended on the parks have the opportunity to congregate in the pubs, or go shopping for non-essentials.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I see the news reports of mainly youngsters having raves and the recent sunny weather has see the countryside and city parks being left in litter after mass gatherings

It’s all off putting to me

Reactions: Lainie71

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see the news reports of mainly youngsters having raves and the recent sunny weather has see the countryside and city parks being left in litter after mass gatherings

It’s all off putting to me
Me, too. I guess Easter and bank holidays, plus school holidays , is not best time to find quiet places to get out to. Waiting a couple more weeks. Though, have been going out to walk, and it is possible to find more secluded places. Parks that don’t have a cafe, are less frequented. I have forgotten what it is like to go into a shop, but that can wait a bit longer. Would love to get some garden stuff too. Will be looking for a small independent garden centre. The bigger ones seem to be ‘tourist attractions’ rather than somewhere to buy pots, plants and compost.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Me, too. I guess Easter and bank holidays, plus school holidays , is not best time to find quiet places to get out to. Waiting a couple more weeks. Though, have been going out to walk, and it is possible to find more secluded places. Parks that don’t have a cafe, are less frequented. I have forgotten what it is like to go into a shop, but that can wait a bit longer. Would love to get some garden stuff too. Will be looking for a small independent garden centre. The bigger ones seem to be ‘tourist attractions’ rather than somewhere to buy pots, plants and compost.

Lucky we have a nice non chain garden centre Im planning to visit but I think I will leave this until the schools go back

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There is three of us shielding and only the wife's father has had his second jab.
We don't have the confidence to do anything except walk around the block as part of our exercise, I do go the shop on the corner, but today it has been so busy and even though the kids are off school the amount of traffic going past my house is the highest I've seen since before covid. We have said that we can't trust anyone until we have all had the second jab, but even then, we have to be careful for a couple of weeks after that.
Someone who said that we have to take steps back to trying to live our lives slowly has let the floodgates open, and the evidence of what is happening in France and the continent means that a fourth wave is not far off.
We have seen the grandkids, using social distancing but not all of them, I still haven't seen my daughter for about nine months. I have no faith in the way that our government has handled the pandemic. I know from our local hospital, that they are making preparations for a fourth wave and the usual winter months of flu and covid.
They are provisioning on the flu jab and the covid booster jab. This is as well as trying to get all the different departments open for the backlog of patients.
But have our leaders learned the lessons from the previous decision on lockdown. Even though the previous lockdown has seen the country still open for trade and the amount of flights in and out of the country is still high. The ferries haven't stopped and a thousand lorries every day cross the channel, Irish sea, and of course the Atlantic. Despite the ban on going abroad on holidays.
When is a lockdown not a lockdown?

I'm waiting till I feel more comfortable, having anxiety and feeling vulnerable, it is the only sensible approach, let the kids have their fun, they have been brilliant and deserve to let some steam off, just like the protest marches or gathering for a vigil, this should be controlled by police to keep our freedoms and our sanity.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's very busy everywhere. People don't social distance so I can it being very daunting for the sheilders. I have worked throughout the pandemic. 1st lockdown roads were quiet and everywhere felt more safe. Apart from pubs and holidays everything is back to normal. Guess baby steps is the way forward to joining back to society.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to go opticians yesterday in Asda and it was manic. I started to panic beause hubby couldnt be with me and I could find the way out of the darn store to get back to the car.

And due to issues raised with my eyes I have to go back today to have yet more tests. They wanted me to stay yesterday for a couple of hours and be seen in between patients but I'd already made plans to see my daughter and the grandchildren. Had to move things around today to make their new appointment.

I'm expecting Asda to be a nightmare today so wish me luck, someone might find me having an episode in an aisle somewhere

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It is scary for shielders

I’m waiting till the kids go back to school to visit garden centre