Shoes and socks

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really, good fitting supportive shoes and maybe seamless socks if you feel the need, I don’t often wear socks and when I do I wear them inside out, but I’ve always done that. It’s very important to check your feet every day for cuts and marks and keep your hard skin at bay with a good foot cream, cut nails straight and not too short. I’m a lassie and I wear heels and get a pedicure every 3 weeks. If you have no problems with your feet then they’re not much different from anyone elses

EBe66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not an expert but for me not really. But I guess it depends on how much feeling you still have in your feet. Less feeling would mean it gets more important. I do make a point of buying socks without (what do you call it?) sowing edges??
Edit: thanks lovinglife :), seamless socks

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy seamless socks, but because my feet are very sensitive and I find seams rub. The reason seamless and / or unelasticated socks are suggested for those with diabetes is for the opposite reason, to avoid sores from socks and shoes where the wearer doesn’t have a lot of feeling in their feet.

• Winner
Reactions: Lainie71

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure were to ask this..type 2 only diagnosed 7 weeks ago. Are diabetic shoes and socks a thing?

In serious answer to the question.

Nope, not for me. However, on my feet for the best part of the day. I found these JVC work socks, months back.
Tried them & got more..
Heaven in a steel toe cap..

39A8A5EE-CF6B-4DBF-A8AB-9FA760D13419.jpeg

Reactions: aylalake

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are diabetic shoes and socks a thing?
They have not been a thing for me.

I still wear thickish black work socks called Tradies, three pairs for $20.00 last time I bought some.

Also I have always worn dress boots with elastic sides, mainly RM Williams and Blundstone for normal wear and Rossi boots for work.

Naming things "Diabetic" or "Organic" etc is just a another way of ripping people off.

m22459sj__front.jpg

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I don't subscribe to the idea of special shoes or socks for diabetics any more than I subscribe to the idea of special diabetic foods. However foot care is important and I now moisturize my feet more regularly and always wear some sort of footwear. I buy good quality, comfortable shoes and sandals and socks with fine or no seams. Hiking socks are good in winter as they fit well. I aim not to create blisters, hot spots, corns or any other form of foot ailment. I have also had bouts of tendonitis in one Archilles tendon so not setting off inflammation is a priority particularly as my main form of exercise is walking. So no shoes that need to be broken in!

Blade Runner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you everyone scared about my feet scared about all of it

Dont be scared old mate, its not the end of the world. Just take stock of your diagnosis. Dont go over the top in suddenly knocking off all the sugar. Everything in moderation is the key. If you are fond of the liffey water then back it off. If you smoke try to give up.

Think about changing your diet, take all the boring advice from the doc....ZzZZzz (Important)

Socks (loose fitting), not so much shoes are only important if you completely ignore the problem for years. They are important because if left unchecked diabetes can slowly destroy the circulation in your legs resulting in an old lady style swollen leg. Tight fitting socks make that worse. This is WAY down the line for you though, especially if you make the changes needed to stop this bloody condition getting out of hand in the future.

I would suggest though investing in some good running shoes and think about an easy to start with exercise regime. I recommend ASICS, but they are not cheap. Either way, keep calm and carry on :)

Last edited:
Reactions: HellyMac

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I wear loose fitting socks, never bought diabetic socks although they look comfortable they tend to be a little dearer. I like broad fitting shoes .

Nayshiftin

I think for me I wear what I feel comfortable in . I think as long as you observe your feet as much as possible and necessary. I would not wear shoes that gave me blisters and age and my ability says no to high heals. If you can wear comfortably no side effects as I say blisters or threads wrapping around toes . If you are like me I do feel my feet more. Comfort is my thing fashion has long gone . So it is individual .

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you so much. I think my fear is lessening and I am making lots of slow changes. Thought never ge able have wine again but I did have couple of glasses last night and all was fine. Think I'm learning every thing in moderation
Hi again irishmist - any good comfortable non-frictional shoes for walking if walking is your thing. I choose 'skechers'.

I did get advised to go for cotton socks, and wool in winter, by a very thorough excellent podiatrist, but I have not done that 100%, especially re warm winter socks. Easy to do cotton in summer though for sure.

As for the wine - why not able to have wine? Dry wines are usually very low in carbs - and carbohydrates are the things you need to watch re the diabetes and blood glucose levels and all that. (If it's about weight loss - that's another thing.)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Sketchers I love and bought some boots from Go camping for the winter which i am wearing for walking and th4ey very comfy but have put some arch insteps in them.

Reactions: AloeSvea