Short-term insulin anyone?

DiabeticGeek

There has recently been quite a lot of publicity about some studies that suggest that treating newly diagnosed T2s with insulin for a few weeks might be able to drive the diabetes into remission - or at the very least help with its control. The theory is that this gives beta cells a chance to "rest" and recover some of their functionality. Last month the results of a large Chinese study was published in The Lancet, but this isn't the first work of this kind - a few years ago a much smaller study found similarly promising results.

As a recently diagnosed T2 - I find this very interesting. The possibility of a remission after a few weeks of injections sounds like a good deal to me! I realize that this has already been mentioned in the News Topic on Diabetes thread, but I have started a new thread because I have a rather more general question.

Has anyone heard of this sort of treatment being attempted in the UK? More generally how amenable do NHS doctors tend to be to trying out new ideas like this?

Katharine

Gerald Reaven actually did this decades ago in California. After only two weeks strict blood sugar control on insulin the benefit lasted two years.

I can see how this would be a very good idea. Not everyone may want it but I do think it would be a good idea for those who want to try it. Unfortunately I suspect this will be slow to happen on the NHS.