Shortage of test tubes for routine blood tests

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am due my annual HBA1C for type 2.

There is much publicity that GP's are not offering routine blood tests due to shortage of test tubes but are continuing with more urgent blood tests.

Before I ring the surgery, what is the view of the status of HBA1C tests?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had routine bloods today, I think the best thing to do is call your surgery and ask to book, they will know better than anyone if they are still doing routine tests

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I’ve had routine bloods today, I think the best thing to do is call your surgery and ask to book, they will know better than anyone if they are still doing routine tests
Yes I had my bloods done yesterday, although the nurse did say that their stock of phials is low !

richf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
rainy days
I have my annual review and tests at the end of next week and have been expecting a delay but haven't heard anything yet.

Reactions: coby

richf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
rainy days
I understand that most of the doctors in our surgery are preferring to carry out phone consultations. Four weeks ago I had a letter telling me I needed a couple of blood tests for my repeat prescriptions to be renewed. I did think that they would be testing bg levels then. I phoned for my results and was told all ok, no action required. I was happy with that, then I get another letter saying I have to have a phone consultation with the pharmacist at the beginning of next week, then a couple of days after that yet another letter inviting me for an annual review and further blood test (HBA1C I presume). I can't help thinking this could have been done in one go - however I will wait and see.

Reactions: JohnEGreen and zand

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Our surgery have cancelled all routine monitoring tests. No idea how long for.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Our surgery have cancelled all routine monitoring tests. No idea how long for.
My surgery has cancelled all non critical blood tests until at least 17th September as per nhs guidance. Seems from the above posts some surgeries are still carrying out tests but I guess it depends what they class as critical or if they are following the NHS guidance