Should I be concerned?

grace77

Hi! I'm 18 and for the last couple of days my hips and shoulders have been fairly sore. I do exercise but not in a way that my shoulders should be sore or for how sore my hips have been. I have also been experiencing some slight tingling in my hands, but mostly only when im thinking about it. I looked both up and read that they were symptoms of diabetes. I'm not experiencing any other of the symptoms I read about online but I am a bit overweight and both my grandpa and uncle have type 2 diabetes. should I be concerned?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The number one symptom of diabetes is high blood sugar, and if you're worried about diabetes you should have a blood glucose test performed at the chemist (or pharmacy if you're in the USA like me).

Sore shoulders and hips could be a million possibilities, but it's probably something as simple as maybe you slept in an awkward position or maybe you've been looking at your phone too frequently with your head down (it happens to me).

Pain caused by diabetes is often caused by diabetic retinopathy which usually takes years of high blood sugar levels to present itself. The chances of you having it at 18 years old are astronomically low just like the chances of you having type 2 diabetes is also low (though it's becoming more common) at your age.

WITH THAT SAID, you have a family history of type 2 diabetes which puts you more at risk the older you get. If you're concerned, go speak with your doctor, but either way take this as an opportunity to keep your weight under control and make positive changes in your lifestyle (it only gets harder the older you get).

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi! I'm 18 and for the last couple of days my hips and shoulders have been fairly sore. I do exercise but not in a way that my shoulders should be sore or for how sore my hips have been. I have also been experiencing some slight tingling in my hands, but mostly only when im thinking about it. I looked both up and read that they were symptoms of diabetes. I'm not experiencing any other of the symptoms I read about online but I am a bit overweight and both my grandpa and uncle have type 2 diabetes. should I be concerned?

The symptoms of diabetes are excessive thirst, frequent urination, rapid weight loss (for Type 1) and extreme tiredness.

Sore hips and shoulders sound more like overuse or sleeping awkwardly. They're not symptoms of diabetes.

So no, I don't think,you should be concerned that your hips/shoulders mean you have diabetes.

However, if you're concerned your weight and family history may put you at higher risk of diabetes, then you could,talk to,your GP or practice nurse for reassurance.

Far better to see a proper doctor than 'Dr Google'. Dr Google will tell you that a simple headache is a brain tumour when it's actually