Should I be worried about a low reading….

JayBee28

Hello,

Me again! Sorry for all the questions, but there’s so much to learn. Thank you all for all the advice so far.

Yesterday, my level at 6.30am was 9 (my body is still adjusting, don’t think my liver understands yet).

I couldn’t do any further readings during the day as I was waiting for some test trips to be delivered. I ate the following….

Breakfast: Strawberries, raspberries and greek yoghurt and some almonds. Cup of tea, skimmed milk (I know full fat is better, but I only have two or three cups a day, no sugar).
Lunch: Lean chicken salad and a few walnuts
Dinner out: Lamb chops and green beans

We then went to the pictures (bottle of water only, not the normal popcorn etc). The new James Bond film is amazing by the way (no spoilers)

When I got home at 10pm my test strips had arrived so I did a test and my reading was 3.1 I felt ok, but was worried as this was very low. I had a few almonds and went to bed about an hour later.

My reading at 7am this morning, was 7.7 the best it’s been since I was diagnosed a few weeks ago.

Should I be worried about the 3.1 reading (I am not taking any meds).

Thanks so much.

Janet

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Than you. No meds, even though Nurse advised me to take metformin. My initial HBA1C reading was 51 3 weeks ago. I want to try and do this initially by diet and walking.

Should be fairly easily achieved.. 51 is a relatively low diagnosis level (mine was 87 mmol/mol by comparison yet within 3 months was normalised) .

Keep carbs as low as you can (which it looks like you are doing successfully anyway) and you'll hopefully soon be back to non diabetic levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayBee28

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

Me again! Sorry for all the questions, but there’s so much to learn. Thank you all for all the advice so far.

Yesterday, my level at 6.30am was 9 (my body is still adjusting, don’t think my liver understands yet).

I couldn’t do any further readings during the day as I was waiting for some test trips to be delivered. I ate the following….

Breakfast: Strawberries, raspberries and greek yoghurt and some almonds. Cup of tea, skimmed milk (I know full fat is better, but I only have two or three cups a day, no sugar).
Lunch: Lean chicken salad and a few walnuts
Dinner out: Lamb chops and green beans

We then went to the pictures (bottle of water only, not the normal popcorn etc). The new James Bond film is amazing by the way (no spoilers)

When I got home at 10pm my test strips had arrived so I did a test and my reading was 3.1 I felt ok, but was worried as this was very low. I had a few almonds and went to bed about an hour later.

My reading at 7am this morning, was 7.7 the best it’s been since I was diagnosed a few weeks ago.

Should I be worried about the 3.1 reading (I am not taking any meds).

Thanks so much.

Janet

Should be fine if you're on no medication. I have had the occasional odd low or high reading and usually retest if it's unusual or unexpected. Most of mine are caused by "operator error" - reusing a previously used test strip will give you an alarmingly high figure, for example. I've had readings in the 3 range that on retesting have shifted to a more realistic 4 or 5 something - and some that stayed exactly where they were.

Reactions: JayBee28