should I eat if sugars lower

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone

So a few hours after I've eaten my blood sugars are like 5.3 should I be having a snack or is that ok and if so I can just wait until dinner which is a couple hours off

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 is just fine. Absolutely no need to have a snack, unless, of course, you are on insulin or an insulin stimulating drug and are about to drive. I'm assuming you are diet/metformin.
Sally

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 is good .. not low at all .. 4 is the floor ..
so
below 4 is to low

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
5.3 is just fine. Absolutely no need to have a snack, unless, of course, you are on insulin or an insulin stimulating drug and are about to drive. I'm assuming you are diet/metformin.
Sally
Just diet not on meds when would it be classed as too low ?

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just diet not on meds when would it be classed as too low ?
No its fine....In the absence of insulin drugs, You will liver dump when you get low. For me it happens around 4.5 and I will climb back to around 5.2

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Under 4 is low, but for T2s not on meds your liver will help you out. No need to eat.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi coleyd 5.3 is very good i try to keep mine between 5and8 not always possible but if they go below 4 then i start feeling a bit shaky best thing to do is just keep checking bloods as your not on any meds i don't think you will have a hypo you can have a snack just be careful what it is hope this helps? PS I'm type 1 insulin controlled

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you aren't on any medication that can lower your blood sugar it can't get too low. Don't worry. I've been well below 4 many times.
If you are hungry then eat something.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's brill thanks. Is it a good sign that im getting this number or is it normal ? My fasting this am was 6.1 which is low for me since testing

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it is very normal for glucose to lower as the day progresses. Most people are at their lowest as evening approaches as insulin resistance improves during the day.