Should I go to the doctor?

becs08

I'm a bit stuck on whether to go to the doctor or not to see if I have diabetes. I don't want to look like an idiot if I don't have it and waste their time. However, a few things over the last few weeks have slowly cropped up and it is now making me wonder.
I've never been that much of a big drinker, I drank enough but never loads, but over the last few weeks I have become so so thirsty and gasping for a drink to clench my thirst all the time, and my mouth also gets dry quite often.
My hunger over the last few weeks has increased. I am not fat or overweight, but for the last few weeks I could eat a meal for 2 or have a big portion, and 15 minutes later my stomach is rumbling again, I'm just so so hungry.
I'm always tired, at one point I could have just led down on the ground a few weeks aog and gone to sleep I was so tired and just felt drained. I though it was due to work but I've had a few weeks off work and I'm still tired all the time.
I get very itchy skin, mainly on my legs though, and it is so itchy I can rub the skin off sometimes.
My eyesight is getting worse, not blurry, but reading or watching tv I really have to squint to see what is being said, even if it is close to my face.
I've looked at it on the internet, and alot of the symptoms of type 2 diabetes I have, but I don't want to self-diagnose myself. I hope it's nothing but its just crept up all of a sudden and I don't know whether to seek professional advice or if to just leave it and see what happens?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
We can't diagnose. Most of us aren't doctors, but if you are anxious about some aspect of your health, go see the GP. Not everything is as obvious as a rash or a broken bone, So doctors must often see people who have odd symptoms. They also often see people who it's too late to help, because they should have gone sooner. Write down your symptoms, make the appointment,and take the note with you. If it turns out to be nothing. that's all well and good and your mind will be relieved. If it is something, treatment can begin.
I hope your doctor isn't making you feel that you can't go see him/her, because you might be classed as a timewaster.

Trinkwasser

becs08 said:
I'm a bit stuck on whether to go to the doctor or not to see if I have diabetes. I don't want to look like an idiot if I don't have it and waste their time.

If your doctor makes you feel like that you should get a new one. (BTDT)

I'd advise buying your own meter at your pharmacy, you can probably get one for a few quids with about 10 test strips, do this

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

and take the results in with you (take the meter so he can see the numbers for himself) either way you sound ill and even if it isn't diabetes you really NEED to see a doctor ASAP.