Should I return back to work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking for some advice, I work as a barber in my dads shop, I have type 1 diabetes, and we are due to re open on the 4th of July, and it’s a bit worrying for me because I know that in my line of work there’s no way to keep a safe distance from people and I will be very very busy touching peoples heads all day, I can wear a visor but can’t cut hair in gloves, I could stay on the furlough scheme for a bit longer that’s not a problem, just wondered if I should be back working or not?

thanks!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d rather be the barber than the customer. You’ll be breathing on them not the other way around. This isn’t going away anytime soon. Whenever you go back taking the sensible ppe precautions will be the way forward.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are young and without vascular complications, having T1 diabetes shouldn't affect your decision.

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with all of the comments above. Wear the protection you feel comfortable with, try mask or visors. Visors are tough to wear though for any length of time especially in the heat. Trial them both. Remember the customer sits lower than you with their back to you. So distance from face to face is at least a metre.
I have gone back to school and it's been great.
Good luck whatever you decide.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes because although we've been 'groomed' to think we are in peril as 'vulnerable' type 1s, the fact that you are young and hopefully without kidney, heart disease, obesity or hypertension makes you at similar risk to this virus as your colleagues.
Do you what you can by washing your hands and keeping the sugars under control but remember your mental health is at least as important at this stage of your life so go out in the sun, see freieds and keep your job at 100% of your salary. It makes no sense to live in fear when you look at the stats for type 1 deaths (0.07% and average age 70 according to Prof Partha Karr).