Should I see the doctor ?

Spark

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi all
I keep an eye on my blood sugar as my dad is type 2 diabetic. He will test my blood sugar every now and then. He did it a week ago and said it was high ish. I've checked it every morning before breakfast and it's between 6 and 7. I'm getting confused with all the different numbers for pre diabetes and type 2 and when is the best time of day to test. Is this mornal range or worth a proper check up with my GP.

Many thanks

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Have some meals and check at one hour post those meals and then at two hours. Breakfast, lunch and dinner .....

Your GP diagnosed you a pre diabetic I take it?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all
I keep an eye on my blood sugar as my dad is type 2 diabetic. He will test my blood sugar every now and then. He did it a week ago and said it was high ish. I've checked it every morning before breakfast and it's between 6 and 7. I'm getting confused with all the different numbers for pre diabetes and type 2 and when is the best time of day to test. Is this mornal range or worth a proper check up with my GP.

Many thanks
I read that if you have several random tests above 7 that's a good indication that there might be a problem. What most of us do is test before meals and again two hours afterwards. By that time it should have fallen again to a similar level. Someone will post to give you the figures.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, ask you GP to check HbA1c. Morning readings above 6 are too high.

Spark

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for the replies. I haven't been diagnosed as pre diabetic but I'm think my blood sugar readings are looking like I might be.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Well that just amplifies the message in a previous post. GP and bloods (HBA1c) is a must do.

Meter readings are only a rough (but nonethleless fairly accurate) guide so a quick rundown of your diet might tell us something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spark

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Mike, I'm a carbaholic although have been on/off low carb for a year or so now. I haven't got a sweet tooth particularly and I cook all my meals from scratch but I eat far too much.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi @Spark

Well it seems as though you know your issue ... be it weight (?) and / or exercise and maybe not adhering to a good diet and overdoing the carbs. If that's all accurate, I bet you can imagine how correcting all those matters will assist you no end.

Good luck, get that test done and please come back. There's a wealth of info and experts here that will help you no end.

Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tested my dad before xmas as he was due to have some regular blood tests, and his was 7.2 :eek: so was a bit worried, but doc said all was fine after testing, so maybe best not to worry overly and let the proper tests diagnose us :)...

Reactions: 2 people