Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi I'm new here and was diagnosed type2 August 16
My average three month reading was 13
By xmas it went down to 11
My last reading was back up to 13
I've been taking metoformin twice a day 500mg
The last few months my diets been poor
I've lost 3 stone and am trying to be more active though at times feel lethargic
My doctors now added gliclazide
My questions at this time are can I substitute the tablets for a low carb diet and exercise
If so how much exercise,
Im feeling too dependant on the meds and I can feel up or down either way
I feel I need to take control
Can anyone share their experiences or,uch needed. Advice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No members here are qualified to countermand your doctors orders. You can refuse pills or take them as prescribed, it's up to you.

Having said that I stopped taking Metformin when it interfered with how food tasted. Everything tasted like burnt plastic.

Rockwannabe68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I understand about taking or not taking meds
I just was thinking if it's high anyway is it working
I should say I've now a blood monitor so feel I can be more clinical with what works and what doesn't
Would a month without meds have such effects ?
At least I can see if my bloods going down or up
And go back on if a rise

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin on its own has very little effect on blood sugars. It helps to a limited extent, but not a lot. It is, however, an appetite suppressant, so may be helping you lose weight.

Gliclazide works in a different way. It stimulates the pancreas to produce extra insulin and works well for some people who need extra insulin. We have no way of knowing if you do, or if the insulin you do produce isn't doing its job properly because of insulin resistance.

The decision is yours entirely, but after discussion with your doctor/nurse.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin doesn't lower your glucose levels, so starting to take it again would not help if they went up.
Personally I did not notice any difference after I stopped taking the tablets, which was just before Christmas last year.
I don't have the finances to be testing all the time, but when sorting out what I could eat I devised meals which did not raise my blood glucose levels more than two whole numbers at two hours after starting to eat. I noticed that if I kept to the same sort of carb level and foods that my levels gradually drifted down, and I was very pleased to see how low my Hba1c was at the second testing.
I am now almost 6 months from diagnosis and my only problem is the one I have always had, no loss in weight after the first 18lb, but I am so immobile now with the aching muscles and painful joints.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's up to you and your doctor to decide on your course of treatment/management, but you're more likely to be able to stop taking your metformin if you can show that you are managing well with diet and exercise.

For me metformin has been an extra "helping hand" and had less impact on reducing my glucose levels than a combination of low carb high(er) fat diet and the use of my meter to set myself targets and monitor results.

Robbity

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I would definitely recommend the LCHF diet. It works for me. I had to stop taking metformin as it made me so ill with toilet problems. It didn't make much difference to my bloods nor did it suppress my appetite but the LCHF has. I don't do a lot of exercise due to shoulder and back problems at times. But as previously said it's up to you and your HCP

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi I'm new here and was diagnosed type2 August 16
My average three month reading was 13
By xmas it went down to 11
My last reading was back up to 13
I've been taking metoformin twice a day 500mg
The last few months my diets been poor
I've lost 3 stone and am trying to be more active though at times feel lethargic
My doctors now added gliclazide
My questions at this time are can I substitute the tablets for a low carb diet and exercise
If so how much exercise,
Im feeling too dependant on the meds and I can feel up or down either way
Can anyone share their experiences or,uch needed. Advice

I think you should start the low carb eating style and stay on your medication , and maybe lower them when your numbers have halved what they are now, you are still very high in blood glucose and that is not healthy and with such high numbers medicaition realy has is´t place..

start counting the number of grams you are eating daily and find out to lower carb intake day by day , and keep an eye on your blood glucose doesn´t get too low.... but too low is a way from where you are now, when your numbers are around 5 mmol; then you should be very carefull by taking too much medications.. but don´t stop your medication just like without talking to your doctor or diabtes nurse before finding the right way to lower it slowly

I myself take 2 x 850mg of metformin daily, and my HbA1c is 34 / 5.7

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But the way to get in a Healthy blood glucose range is by going lower in carbs try under 100 grams a day all meals included

Reactions: Rockwannabe68

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning @Rockwannabe68 I stopped taking my Metformin two weeks ago but only with my doctor put in the picture,I started taking 2 x 500g a day back in October then in January my first Hb1Ac assessment (140 )12.6m/mmol down to (50 )6.7m/mol on the 6th January I then cut one tablet out and continued until April 6th my last Hb1Ac which was (39) 5.7m/mol and then stopped the other tablet,so since then I take no medication at all,but I still test every day just to make sure I am in good control still with the doctor in full agreement :)

ps I eat 80/100 carbs a day

Rockwannabe68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Metformin on its own has very little effect on blood sugars. It helps to a limited extent, but not a lot. It is, however, an appetite suppressant, so may be helping you lose weight.

Gliclazide works in a different way. It stimulates the pancreas to produce extra insulin and works well for some people who need extra insulin. We have no way of knowing if you do, or if the insulin you do produce isn't doing its job properly because of insulin resistance.

The decision is yours entirely, but after discussion with your doctor/nurse.

Thanks that's very helpful
I think I'll keep with the meds but really get to grips with a low carb diet and exercise

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Rockwannabe68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks I'll
Good morning @Rockwannabe68 I stopped taking my Metformin two weeks ago but only with my doctor put in the picture,I started taking 2 x 500g a day back in October then in January my first Hb1Ac assessment (140 )12.6m/mmol down to (50 )6.7m/mol on the 6th January I then cut one tablet out and continued until April 6th my last Hb1Ac which was (39) 5.7m/mol and then stopped the other tablet,so since then I take no medication at all,but I still test every day just to make sure I am in good control still with the doctor in full agreement :)

ps I eat 80/100 carbs a day
thanks there are clearly some steps I can take first

Rockwannabe68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sound advice tha
I think you should start the low carb eating style and stay on your medication , and maybe lower them when your numbers have halved what they are now, you are still very high in blood glucose and that is not healthy and with such high numbers medicaition realy has is´t place..

start counting the number of grams you are eating daily and find out to lower carb intake day by day , and keep an eye on your blood glucose doesn´t get too low.... but too low is a way from where you are now, when your numbers are around 5 mmol; then you should be very carefull by taking too much medications.. but don´t stop your medication just like without talking to your doctor or diabtes nurse before finding the right way to lower it slowly

I myself take 2 x 850mg of metformin daily, and my HbA1c is 34 / 5.7

Rockwannabe68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All your comments make sense
I think I'll focus on a low carb healthy diet with exercise and see the effect it has
Before reducing the meds