should I stop taking metformin?

Alice15456

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am intending taking bitter melon capsules, should I stop taking the metformin tablet and other prescribed tablets? Although I found the metformin has helped my energy levels I've been having a slight problem with my eyesight

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The problem with your eyesight is possibly caused by the change in your glucose levels. This should normalise. We cannot tell you to stop the met. Talk to your GP but I would ask why if it is helping

Reactions: Alice15456

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You certainly should not stop your medication without talking to your doctor. Metformin is not a bad drug to take it does protect your heart so why stop. Just wonder what is bitter melon supposed to do​

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stopping my Metformin was the best thing about managing my diabetes - however, it was done under instruction from my GP and after working hard on my diet and exercise. Book an appointment with your GP if you want to stop.

Maybe you could explain more about the bitter melon capsules thought for those of us who don't know about them?

Jo123

Hi Alice, welcome to the forum.
Have just had a read about bitter melon, sounds worth a try.
Do you test your bg levels, and what are your hba1c's?
If mine were in a non diabetic range then I would go to gp to discuss dropping the metformin, but I wouldn't consider it if they were high.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm coming up to 2 years since diagnosis, and have just reduced my metformin from 2 a day down to one a day. However, I only did that after discussing things with my GP and with her agreement (I'm also having 3 monthly HbA1c tests to make sure it hasn't affected me too much).

I would echo what others have said - never just stop taking prescribed medicine: discuss things with your medical team

Alice15456

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thank you all. The majority of you seem to say stick with the metformin so I will, but want to know if it will be ok to take the bitter melon WITH the metformin?

Alice15456

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Alice, welcome to the forum.
Have just had a read about bitter melon, sounds worth a try.
Do you test your bg levels, and what are your hba1c's?
If mine were in a non diabetic range then I would go to gp to discuss dropping the metformin, but I wouldn't consider it if they were high.

I'm tested regularly by the diabetes clinic, but always forget to keep the appointments for the results

Alice15456

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Stopping my Metformin was the best thing about managing my diabetes - however, it was done under instruction from my GP and after working hard on my diet and exercise. Book an appointment with your GP if you want to stop.

Maybe you could explain more about the bitter melon capsules thought for those of us who don't know about them?

I've only been reading about bitter melon and the reviews sound good

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you aren't testing your blood sugar levels yourself regularly, and it sounds as if you aren't, then you just won't know what the bitter melon capsules are doing. It would be a good idea to get a meter and start testing before adding in any new possible treatments. Also it would be a great idea to go to the surgery and ask the receptionist to print out your HbA1c results so you can see how your condition is being managed by the Metformin (and other unspecified medications). Without that info you are kind of in the dark.

Jo123

If you aren't testing your blood sugar levels yourself regularly, and it sounds as if you aren't, then you just won't know what the bitter melon capsules are doing. It would be a good idea to get a meter and start testing before adding in any new possible treatments. Also it would be a great idea to go to the surgery and ask the receptionist to print out your HbA1c results so you can see how your condition is being managed by the Metformin (and other unspecified medications). Without that info you are kind of in the dark.

+1 what bulkbiker said :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I believe Bitter Lemon may have some side effects? When you have your diabetes blood test these need to be done a week or so before a review appointment you should set up at the surgery. The (at least) annual review is essential and it's important to have the blood test results available for discussion.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You certainly should not stop your medication without talking to your doctor. Metformin is not a bad drug to take it does protect your heart so why stop. Just wonder what is bitter melon supposed to do​
I had success with BM. but I also took it with Metformin and Gliclazide. It alone was not sufficient to 'cure' me, As said by others, Met protects the cardiovascular system, but has b****er all effect on lowering bgl to any useful degree, maybe 1.5 mmol/l at best. BM is also only good for a couple of mmol/l so don't bin the other meds yet. I may consider taking BM again soon, since it will help me wean myself off Gliclazide, but I will keep the Met going for now, However, Glic tabs are free for me, and BM costs me.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you all. The majority of you seem to say stick with the metformin so I will, but want to know if it will be ok to take the bitter melon WITH the metformin?
I was just reading about it and it did say that taking bitter melon with other diabetes medication could cause blood sugar to drop to low so you would need to keep an eye on that. Also it said it was probably safe for most people to take it short term..about.3 months but longer it was not known

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
I'm tested regularly by the diabetes clinic, but always forget to keep the appointments for the results
sorry but why would you either not keep your appointment or at least cancel it so their time and resources isn't wasted? It's your decision not to access your results but the number of patients who fail to turn up for appointments causes additional strain on an already overstretched system and shows a bit of a lack of self discipline......sorry if I'm sounding off but I worked in the NHS and saw the effect of this kind of behaviour. Do the decent thing if you don't want your results and cancel the appointment, cheers

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

here you can read some of what does have bad interaction with metformin... I still think you should discuss it with your GP before trying...

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/blog/bitter-melon-diabetes-news/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/548794-herbs-to-avoid-on-metformin/
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...795-bitter melon.aspx?activeingredientid=795&

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although this is an informative article, it shows most of my prescription meds are contraindicated, and I think they are over zealous in this. I do not consider Livestrong as a primary source of info, and treat their info with suspicion.

The possibility of BM lowering bgl is known, which is exactly why we take it as a supplement. So it is doing what is claimed? Yeah! another tool to use. Along with most of the others mentioned (which by the way we get from eating leafy greens anyway). The warning about lactic acidosis is covered in the meds leaflet anway and has nothing to do with taking supps - Metformin does that on its own in rare occasions.

We should indeed let our HCP's be aware of supplements if taken. My GP and DCN are both quite interested in my own success with these, so not all doctors are against self medication. Met by itself is not that good at bgl lowering, and usually requires supplementation by other prescrip meds.