Should of listened.........

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in February 2016 with T2, But being a man of a certain age, I decided to mainly ignore the nurse and carry on regardless. Until that (un)funny incident last week with the breathing and disorientated feeling. I have been working away for the last 9 months, living in a hotel and drinking to much beer and eating all the wrong food. I started to use the gym as a way of countering my poor diet and even lost 1/2 a stone in weight, So when the nurse said you have T2, I thought well you're going to the gym you're loosing weight and getting fitter, If you search the internet there is no sugar in beer, Until last week when I started to learn about Carbs. The good news is my weight is down another 1/2 a stone and my HbA1c levels have fallen since February,
(I'm still learning what all the numbers mean). The nurse have given me a monitor, but does not want to give me a load of strips to test myself with??? But i can have Metformin, So my plan is to reduce the carbs cut out the beer go to the gym and loose more weight. I have refused the drugs (for now) and will have another blood test in 3 months, Wish me luck.

Reactions: 5 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm a T1 of a "certain age"... Don't forget the carbs in spuds, pasta,bread,cereal & fruit (Among many others.)
Never too old to learn..!

I do sincerely wish you luck!

Reactions: 7 people

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Good luck. Buy strips for your meter (enter make and model into Amazon's search engine) - essential stuff. If you record what you eat and test before and 2 to 3 hours after eating, you will soon establish which foods are working and which are not. I'd record times too if I were you, and take into account any meds which may raise blood sugar (eg. steroids, anti-biotics) and how much fluid you are taking in a day. I did this for a couple of months when I started trying to control my carb intake. It not only informed me to great effect, it also armed me with valid info to show my doctors to support my approach. Again - good luck.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you search the internet there is no sugar in beer,

I looked up the carbs in beer and it said just 3.6 gms which doesn't sound a lot does it. Sadly that's per 100gms and a pint of beer is about 500gms. So 3.6 x 5 = 18 gms and you don't often meet people who only have one pint in a session. And then of course there are the summer weight beers which have a higher specific gravity (sugar) because customers like it that way and you haven't eaten yet but the beer will probably give you the munchies so that's ok.

Reactions: 6 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I was diagnosed in February 2016 with T2, But being a man of a certain age, I decided to mainly ignore the nurse and carry on regardless. Until that (un)funny incident last week with the breathing and disorientated feeling. I have been working away for the last 9 months, living in a hotel and drinking to much beer and eating all the wrong food. I started to use the gym as a way of countering my poor diet and even lost 1/2 a stone in weight, So when the nurse said you have T2, I thought well you're going to the gym you're loosing weight and getting fitter, If you search the internet there is no sugar in beer, Until last week when I started to learn about Carbs. The good news is my weight is down another 1/2 a stone and my HbA1c levels have fallen since February,
(I'm still learning what all the numbers mean). The nurse have given me a monitor, but does not want to give me a load of strips to test myself with??? But i can have Metformin, So my plan is to reduce the carbs cut out the beer go to the gym and loose more weight. I have refused the drugs (for now) and will have another blood test in 3 months, Wish me luck.

You sound like me - no meds- and your solution is pretty similar - to make a lifestyle change:). It's worked for me, so providing you stick with it, I see no reason that you cannot do the same!

The one thing that struck me early on from reading the comments of Aseem Malhotra, a U.K. Cardiologist is that "you cannot outrun a bad diet". He was talking about the gym. So good luck with all your efforts...we are here to support and answer any questions you may have. Make sure you knock that beer on the head :)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @tim32 and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are taking action to control your condition. I used to drink 3-4 pints of beer most night which contributed to my weight gain and probably to my T2 diagnosis. I have adopted a mainly LCHF approach to eating and stopped drinking beer, apart from an occasional couple of pints when I'm meeting friends in a pub, and my bs levels and weight have come down to healthy levels.
You have learnt about the effect of carbs, cutting down on beer and other carbs should reduce your blood sugar levels. So good luck on your journey to better health. You sound as if you are determined to get there.

Reactions: 2 people