Should u get tested if family members have diabetes?

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
No genes are definitely part of it. the university of exeter have identified some.
Here is the link. https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/diabetes-genomic-medicine It was an excellent course but so full of language I am unfamilar with I would have had to concentrate and at the time (still have) I had fluffy brain. I would definitely do it again I just hope next time it runs sometime between Nov and mid March when I have more time to devote to it. Even so I found the introduction to the basic concepts very interesting.

Reactions: Freema

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing that got me interested in this thread was when @azure said that genetics was more a factor in type 2 than type 1. So if type 1 is not due to lifestyle and not a disease you can catch, doesn't that only leave genetics?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The thing that got me interested in this thread was when @azure said that genetics was more a factor in type 2 than type 1. So if type 1 is not due to lifestyle and not a disease you can catch, doesn't that only leave genetics?

The 'Type 1 genes' aren't that uncommon but most people with those genes do NOT develop Type 1.

It takes an environmental trigger. This trigger is as yet unknown, but suspects are a virus, cows milk, wheat, etc (there are quite a few suspects!). Some outside thing triggers the immune system into attacking the beta cells.

If you're interested, have a browse through the Type 1 section. There are a number of threads there where people discuss what this environmental trigger might be :) My opinion is that it's a cascade of events not just one thing.

Reactions: jason134

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I also wonder what part Genomic Imprinting may play in this where differential expression of the same allele due to its different parental origins takes place.

frankie7488

Thanks for the replies. I should see my GP soon...I have symptoms like: feeling sick if dont eat-its a feeling what arises what makes me want to be sick; calms down when only when eat. Not sure, need to keep an eye on health more. Im not sure what the signs are for diabetics,can anyone let me know??

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies. I should see my GP soon...I have symptoms like: feeling sick if dont eat-its a feeling what arises what makes me want to be sick; calms down when only when eat. Not sure, need to keep an eye on health more. Im not sure what the signs are for diabetics,can anyone let me know??

Feeling sick when you don't eat isn't a symptom of diabetes @frankie7488 ?

The signs of diabetes might depend on your age - can you tell us how old you are?

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
If you click the home button on this page it will take you to a page with many helpful links so you can research what is appropriate to you. You maay find this helpful http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-symptoms.html. There are many reasons to feel nauseous in certain circumstances. As @azure stated on its own that is not necessarily indicitive of diabetes. The page I have linked will give you detailed diabetes related explanations for several symptoms you may have but cannot replace getting personal advise from your GP

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, you've misunderstood me...I get sick feelings when I haven't eaten food - the feeling only stops when I eat

Feeling sick when you haven't eaten isn't a symptom of diabetes.

Symptoms of diabetes are the 4Ts:
  • Thirst - unquenchable thirst, drinking a lot more than normal;
  • Toilet - weeing a lot more than normal, getting up in the night to wee. This is called hyper urination
  • Tired - exhaustion
  • Thin - dramatic, untried for weight loss
Other symptoms would include: excessive hunger; thrush; blurred vision; dry skin.

Yes, someone in my family had diabetics...very serious case.

There's no such thing as a trivial case of diabetes. Do you know what type of diabetes your relative had? How was this person related to you, how close a relative are they?

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, you've misunderstood me...I get sick feelings when I haven't eaten food - the feeling only stops when I eat

No, I understood what you meant :)

What you've described isn't a symptom of diabetes, as I said.

At 18yrs old, a person would be more likely to have Type 1 if they did have diabetes. The symptoms of Type 1 are pretty unmissable. They are feeling extraordinarily tired, a thirst that you can't quench however much you drink, numerous visits to the toilet to pee (a number of times an hour) and a sudden, dramatic weight loss.

You don't have any of those symptoms.

In addition, Type 1 doesnt 'run in families' usually.

Obviously, if you have any concerns about your health eg the sick feeling, then you should visit a doctor, but from what you've told us, I personally can see no symptoms of diabetes at all :)