Should We Worry About Hba1c?

Harebrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mentioned in this weeks New Scientist (page 37).

A study carried out in 2008 at McMaster University in Canada found that those 'fighting' to keep their HbA1C below 7% were actually facing higher death risks. Consequently Type 2 Diabetics should not try to get below 7%.
Has anyone seen this?
Any thoughts anyone?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe some of those with very low levels were taking more drugs to control their Blood Sugars?
Alternatively could be a load of bull..
Still alive after last HbA1c of 27 (so low its off the end of the table..)
Regards
M

Reactions: 4 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess it depends on what "Fighting" you need to undertake to achieve the sub 7% levels.

If they are achieved by modifying your diet, or/and increasing exercise then it is absurd to think you are raising your "death risk"

Reactions: 6 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Mentioned in this weeks New Scientist (page 37).

A study carried out in 2008 at McMaster University in Canada found that those 'fighting' to keep their HbA1C below 7% were actually facing higher death risks. Consequently Type 2 Diabetics should not try to get below 7%.
Has anyone seen this?
Any thoughts anyone?

I think you will find that the factor was intense medication to get the HbA1c down. A low HbA1c achieved by diet and moderate medication is not a problem.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 7% when I was diagnosed. If we aren't supposed to go any lower, what was the point of all the advice to lower it?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If that is the study I think it is, they achieved the lowered hba1c using intensive medication, the effects of which (and the contraindications of which) ended up doing more harm than good.

Now, if they had done the same study again, substituting improved diet and lifestyle changes instead of throwing pills around, like sweets, then they would have had a very different (and better) result.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you will find that the factor was intense medication to get the HbA1c down. A low HbA1c achieved by diet and moderate medication is not a problem.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I think also that multiple hypo events may be a contributing factor.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Higher death risk from what exactly would be my question. Heart attack, stroke, runaway buses? Not controlling your BS is a guarantee of problems down the line including death.

Reactions: 6 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What we should worry about is all the so called research that is being done. The poor souls in the study were most probably following standard advice and the eatwell plate so of course they were doomed to begin with. My Hb has been 34, 5.4% for over a year and Im not worried at all.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2008? Did they know about diet then. I remember Kendrick saying that in all his time in med school he thinks they spent about one hour on nutrition.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the end of the day all that matters is that we do what is best and works for us personally not wasting our time reading all these random studies that really do not mean anything

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe some of those with very low levels were taking more drugs to control their Blood Sugars?
Alternatively could be a load of bull..
Still alive after last HbA1c of 27 (so low its off the end of the table..)
Regards
M
Sounds like the Accord study about the same time. Turned out to be nonsense.

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was going to say is this the Accord study? The trouble with that study is they shoved everyone in the "low HbA1c" group on a drug called Avandia. This drug was later found to increase the likelihood of cardiovascular problems.

They also used a large number of other drugs to try and lower HbA1c which probably also had other interactions too...why they didn't just improve the diet and insulin timing of the "low HbA1c! group I'll never know...sigh!

Reactions: 2 people

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . a drug called Avandia. This drug was later found to increase the likelihood of cardiovascular problems.

Pleased that Avandia (Rosiglitazone) is no longer available in the UK. Totally messed up my liver function and helped me gain a HUGE amount of weight.
Sometimes, well most of the time I have serious doubts about what the objectives are when a drug is developed. No ill effects never seems to be on the list of things to be achieved.

Reactions: 2 people