Shower surprises with CGM

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I get that every morning. I have never checked with a finger prick, but I think it's more likely to be the warm water either changing the interstitial fluid properties or confusing the sensor. For me it drops right back to where it started before I've left the bathroom!

YMMV

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get that every morning. I have never checked with a finger prick, but I think it's more likely to be the warm water either changing the interstitial fluid properties or confusing the sensor. For me it drops right back to where it started before I've left the bathroom!

YMMV
I have exactly the same experience.
If as someone who produces no insulin and does not go for a run immediately after every shower sees a true spike (rise and immediate fall) on their CGM graph, it doesn't strike me as a correct reading.
I'm not sure how you would check it with a finger prick without mixing water with your blood.

However, I wonder what @cantfindasuitablenamehere is seeing is a foot on the floor rise if they are fasting and their BG stays high.
This could be a liver dump when they start moving. It is just that the shower is the first movement.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The body cools itself by sending blood to the surface, hence flushing when hot. as soon as you get out of the shower, you cool enough for the body to divert the blood away from the extremities, and back towards the core. That's why our hands and feet become pale in cold weather. It probably plays havoc with the CGM, as it uses algorithms to calculate a delay compared to the blood.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The body cools itself by sending blood to the surface, hence flushing when hot. as soon as you get out of the shower, you cool enough for the body to divert the blood away from the extremities, and back towards the core. That's why our hands and feet become pale in cold weather. It probably plays havoc with the CGM, as it uses algorithms to calculate a delay compared to the blood.
There's always someone who takes it too seriously! Just kidding;)

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Why even when fasting does having a shower rise my BG by 3/4?

Am I so hungry I've started eating the soap or what?

:)
Can I just say I am actively seeking out your threads because they are humorous, insightful, questions I have too, and the replies are always helpful.
I am about to start on my own CGM journey if I can get the website to understand that I live in a county not listed in their drop-down list so I can actually pay for the thing and get it delivered

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
f I can get the website to understand that I live in a county not listed in their drop-down list so I can actually pay for the thing and get it delivered
Someone recently , maybe @IanBish (sorry if it wasn't) put a "wrong" but available county in and got it ok.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am about to start on my own CGM journey if I can get the website to understand that I live in a county not listed in their drop-down list so I can actually pay for the thing and get it delivered
Be careful because there are some inbuilt international restrictions.
There have been reports of sensors bought here in UK for UK users that they then can't start up if they are abroad at the time. There is some link between country of purchase, country of downloading the app, and the location of the phone
(I think, not the best at tech, have a search of threads and you'll find more)

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone recently , maybe @IanBish (sorry if it wasn't) put a "wrong" but available county in and got it ok.
I did consider that but was too nervous about not getting it. I have requested a callback so

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Be careful because there are some inbuilt international restrictions.
There have been reports of sensors bought here in UK for UK users that they then can't start up if they are abroad at the time. There is some link between country of purchase, country of downloading the app, and the location of the phone
(I think, not the best at tech, have a search of threads and you'll find more)
Thanks for the heads up. I am in Scotland - not a single Scottish county in the list!

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What a memory! It was indeed @IanBish. I have messaged him to see if he ever received the LIBRE2 as he didn’t say so in that thread which I read to the end.

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have messaged him to see if he ever received the LIBRE2 as he didn’t say so in that thread which I read to the end.
i shall follow with interest. The libre 2 ix not compatible with my samsung but I'm hoping that Santa will sort that out and when the time comes I'll also need it delivered this side of Hadrian's Wall/

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why even when fasting does having a shower rise my BG by 3/4?

Am I so hungry I've started eating the soap or what?

:)
For me any significant rise in ambient temperature produces a rise in BG. Showers and saunas work, so does Italian summer heat. I don't know whether this is a "real" BG rise (ie my liver has pumped out a bit more glucose) or only a testing artifact.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
i shall follow with interest. The libre 2 ix not compatible with my samsung but I'm hoping that Santa will sort that out and when the time comes I'll also need it delivered this side of Hadrian's Wall/
@IanBish has just confirmed that he did receive it “eventually”. So here goes .

Reactions: Margarettt

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me any significant rise in ambient temperature produces a rise in BG. Showers and saunas work, so does Italian summer heat. I don't know whether this is a "real" BG rise (ie my liver has pumped out a bit more glucose) or only a testing artifact.
Given it is a true spike (up and back down) seen by people with Type 1 who are unable to produce their own insulin to cause their BG to go down, unless we are very active in the shower, it can only be explained by a "testing artefact" as you describe it. In other words, the heat on the sensor causes an incorrect reading.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Given it is a true spike (up and back down) seen by people with Type 1 who are unable to produce their own insulin to cause their BG to go down, unless we are very active in the shower, it can only be explained by a "testing artefact" as you describe it. In other words, the heat on the sensor causes an incorrect reading.
I think that's very likely with a CGM. However my observations have come solely from fingerprick readings. Interesting question: if the CGM effect is a testing artifact, can we assume that the fingerprick reading elevation is also a testing artifact? Is it possible there are two things going on?