Showers Affecting BG

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have a shower first thing in the morning and it affects my blood glucose levels. Have others noted a change?

Has anyone made any changes due to this, such as water temp or time of day?

Thanks

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How are you measuring your blood sugars?
I ask because I notice my CGM reports a false spike during my hot showers.
However, this is true spike on the graph - my levels appear to go up and then fall again without any insulin. It is not what I have seen described as a spike but is only one half - it is not a pla5eau where levels rise and stay there.

In short, my sensors report a spike but it does not happen, it is the sensor reacting to the heat rather than my body so there has been no need to make any changes.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I often get a rise during a hot shower - finger pricks confirm CGM readings. It doesn’t last long and comes right back down to baseline. Incidentally I’m tracking my heart rate at the moment for completely different reasons and that goes up too. Maybe the two are connected?

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I have a shower first thing in the morning and it affects my blood glucose levels. Have others noted a change?

Has anyone made any changes due to this, such as water temp or time of day?

Thanks

Mine are generally lower after a shower or around about the same. Only thing that increases my BG is sleep as waking up in the morning is my highest reading of the day.

You doing finger prick, or using a CGM?

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I have a shower in the morning my blood sugars go up (libre & blood test) however if I have a 30 minute soak in a hot bath it doesn’t affect b/s at all
Also any cardio in the morning spikes b/s in the evening it lowers it

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I also found that when I take a hot shower, or go to the sauna, that my BG readings on my Libre spike. It is just some silly readings ( I suppose the heat impacts the sensors somehow.) However, 30 or 40 minutes later, my BG readings are back to where it suppose to be.

PS. When I stay too long in the sauna, the sensor stops working. It restarts again, after it had some time to cool off.

Georgehiggins

How are you measuring your blood sugars?
I ask because I notice my CGM reports a false spike during my hot showers.
However, this is true spike on the graph - my levels appear to go up and then fall again without any insulin. It is not what I have seen described as a spike but is only one half - it is not a pla5eau where levels rise and stay there.

In short, my sensors report a spike but it does not happen, it is the sensor reacting to the heat rather than my body so there has been no need to make any changes.
What is CGM ???

Buzzark

I have the same, though I shower at different times of the day depending on my schedule. A warm (37.c) shower spikes my blood glucose as if I'd eaten around 30g of fast acting carbs.

This shows on the Libre 2 (and I initially thought it was a false positive as others have reported) but also I have confirmed with finger prick testing. It does not immediately fall afterwards, taking over an hour to return to previous levels.