Shredded Swede

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a great fan of swede, it is very low carb and I often have it mashed or as chips to substitute for the potato versions. Today I tried Shredded Swede that bought from the Co-Op. It microwaved in 4 mins to produce something like angel-hair pasta, much finer than you would think from the photograph. It was really good with the roast chicken I had today but I think it has great potential as a pasta or noodle substitute. I would thoroughly recommend trying it if you can get hold of it. Although it is just swede, finely shredded, it seems to be transformed into something quite different.
Swede.jpg

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never heard of it or seen it before. Of course, I'm on the other side of the pond. Guess I need to Google it.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And I can grow swede. Nice one.
It gives a bite to a traditional Cornish pasty, I used to think.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And I can grow swede. Nice one.
It gives a bite to a traditional Cornish pasty, I used to think.
Mashed swede with butter and plenty of black pepper has a lovely hint of Cornish pasty without the carbs.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love swede - when I was a kid and subject to school dinners, I used to swap the rest of my meal for more mashed swede whenever it was on the menu - other kids thought theyd got the best of the deal by getting more sponge and strange coloured custard, but I knew better!
This is on my to do list
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5920/roasted-swede-with-parmesan

Reactions: lorraine95

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooooh, @Mr_Pot - I feel certain the food processor will be deployed in pursuit of this. I love swede.

Should I want swede mash, I microwave it, skin and all, then scoop out the cooked deliciousness.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooooh, @Mr_Pot - I feel certain the food processor will be deployed in pursuit of this. I love swede.

Should I want swede mash, I microwave it, skin and all, then scoop out the cooked deliciousness.
The shredded swede I bought is only 1mm square in cross section which would be difficult to achieve with a food processor I think. Also, as it was 70p for the pack, probably not worth the effort of making it.
I will try the "singing swede" method. I was expecting it to make a whistling noise though to justify the name.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The shredded swede I bought is only 1mm square in cross section which would be difficult to achieve with a food processor I think. Also, as it was 70p for the pack, probably not worth the effort of making it.
I will try the "singing swede" method. I was expecting it to make a whistling noise though to justify the name.

It sort of does make a whistling noise as it cooks. First time I did it, I sort of treated it like firework; putting it in the microwave, setting it going and standing well back!

Robbieswan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I adore swede. it's so versatile, pieces, mash, filling.. Awesome stuff and especially nice with sweetcorn. Back of the net !

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I absolutely love swede one of my favourite vegetables in fact when I was pregnant with my third child many many years ago now I had a craving for it and would make mashed swede with lots pepper and butter and eat it while watching TV in the evenings. People would say to me that once I had the baby I would probably never eat swede again not so I loved it as much a ever The other day I made a cottage pie with Quorn and a topping of mashed swede cauliflower and cheese it was really good

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a Turnip.
The rutabaga, swede, or neep is a root vegetable that originated as a cross between the cabbage and the turnip.
A turnip (Brassica rapa) has white flesh, a swede (Brassica napobrassica) has orange flesh.
Incidentally Oilseed Rape (Brassica napa) is related, rape from rapum, Latin for turnip.
Rutabaga-turnip1.jpg

Fascinating stuff on here ;)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that swede is about 10% carbs therefore I would not all it very low carb. But it clearly have a lot fewer carbs then pasta or noodles.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember that swede is about 10% carbs therefore I would not all it very low carb. But it clearly have a lot fewer carbs then pasta or noodles.
Most sources I have seen, including the packet my shredded swede came in, say 5% net carbs.

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a great fan of swede, it is very low carb and I often have it mashed or as chips to substitute for the potato versions. Today I tried Shredded Swede that bought from the Co-Op. It microwaved in 4 mins to produce something like angel-hair pasta, much finer than you would think from the photograph. It was really good with the roast chicken I had today but I think it has great potential as a pasta or noodle substitute. I would thoroughly recommend trying it if you can get hold of it. Although it is just swede, finely shredded, it seems to be transformed into something quite different.
View attachment 24397
Definitely look out for this in my local co op,thanks

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ditto
I would imagine that you might possibly get a higher value if the peel is included, but then again who eats swede peelings?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ditto
I would imagine that you might possibly get a higher value if the peel is included, but then again who eats swede peelings?
Many years ago I was in a very up market restaurant when I overheard the following exchange.....
Fawning head waiter describing the vegetable choices: "We have an excellent swede purée Countess".
Countess in eastern European accent: "In my country only pigs eat swede!".