Shrinking kidneys

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
I have had a scan of my kidneys which have been found to be a bit small.Would that be because of my diabetes 2 I have.Is there a way of reversing it I wonder please?

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I have had a scan of my kidneys which have been found to be a bit small.Would that be because of my diabetes 2 I have.Is there a way of reversing it I wonder please?

I cannot imagine that this has been caused by diabetes...unless you are saying their are complications with the actual function of your kidneys. How small is small? I had a transplant two years ago (unrelated to diabetes) and now have my younger sister's tiny kidney inside doing just fine. My own kidney function went from poor to zero because of an inherited conditions resulting in my kidneys being far to large. My kidney function now - on one little kidney - is about 45%....the human body can operate sufficiently on one kidney with less than 35% function or lower. if your kidneys are healthy - being small means nothing. If they are small because they are dehydrated, that is another matter. Ask about your kidney function.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Chronic very high BGLs can cause kidney damage. As pleinster said however, it's the kidney function that you have to worry about more than the slightly small size.

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-in...w/preventing-problems/diabetic-kidney-disease

What was the original reason behind having the scan. Have you recently had any blood or urine tests indicating kidney problems?

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have stage 3 Kidney desease.I was only told bout this by a letter rim my doctor I do not know if they were already small or it has happened over the last few months. I was just enquiring I will have to wait for renal department to send for me to find out what has happened! , but thanks for the reply.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
stage 3 ( along with being diabetic )would hopefully mean you are taking tablets to help maintain function-- you should follow this up with your GP on Monday

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No no tablets been taken off Metformin for last six months not allowed to test blood so have no idea what is happening.Seeing Doctor Wednesday.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Original reason was incontinence. Had chronic kidney decease for a while.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
stage 3 ( along with being diabetic )would hopefully mean you are taking tablets to help maintain function-- you should follow this up with your GP on Monday

I was born with polycystic kidneys and diagnosed nearly 50 years ago...at no time did any renal doctor I met (which has been very regularly at clinics over that period) refer to any kind of medication (not even experimental) which would help maintain kidney function. There are none that I am aware of. Unlike the liver...kidneys do not regenerate. Of course, there may be something I am missing here in relation to different kinds of kidney disease. The best most of us can do is to take meds to keep blood pressure under control to minimize deterioration and to keep well hydrated. the length of time it would take for kidneys to fail to the point where dialysis is needed varies greatly depending on cause and on genetic make up (my grandfather, who passed it on to my mother, died from old age before he even knew he had it....she was dialysing in her early forties - neither were diabetic). There are no pills to stop kidney disease...yet.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I was born with polycystic kidneys and diagnosed nearly 50 years ago...at no time did any renal doctor I met (which has been very regularly at clinics over that period) refer to any kind of medication (not even experimental) which would help maintain kidney function. There are none that I am aware of. Unlike the liver...kidneys do not regenerate. Of course, there may be something I am missing here in relation to different kinds of kidney disease. The best most of us can do is to take meds to keep blood pressure under control to minimize deterioration and to keep well hydrated. the length of time it would take for kidneys to fail to the point where dialysis is needed varies greatly depending on cause and on genetic make up (my grandfather, who passed it on to my mother, died from old age before he even knew he had it....she was dialysing in her early forties - neither were diabetic). There are no pills to stop kidney disease...yet.
hi there @pleinster
sorry -- I should have been more specific -I did indeed mean BP meds to minimize deterioration.

Reactions: pleinster