Shrove Tuesday

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Apologies, I have looked but can't find any recipes, does anyone have a batter recipe I can use that won't just taste like an omelette? Perhaps coconut flour? I think I used besan flour last year but fancied a change. Thanks in advance!!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't help with recipes for pancakes, but thinking about them got me wondering how the idea of giving up meat for Lent got to being about feasting on pancakes on Pancake Tuesday. So I am planning a nice juicy hamburger for my Fat Tuesday feast instead of pancakes.

And somewhere in there I will go Google about Shrove Tuesday pancakes.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Many thanks,, was looking more for savoury like crepes, not the thicker ones?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google keto pancake. Dozens of recipes out there.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
73059C1D-F832-4EFF-893C-9704FFF45E88.jpeg

Reactions: xfieldok and DMSCOT

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Facebook feed today from diabetes.co.uk showed a video of what they called crepes. (They had a thick American style video today too.) It had a link to the low carb program https://bit.ly/2C3cfWl for the full recipe but as I haven’t paid for that I can’t get to it. But the video showed
1 egg
40g ground almonds
15g flaxseed
150ml whole milk

Rest 10 mins
Oil pan with 1tsp coconut oil and cook as usual.

No idea what it’d be like and I think I’d swap out the milk for a lower carb alternative. Can’t be bothered to work out the carbs now but it should be simple to do.

https://www.facebook.com/85975211995/posts/10156735761656996?sfns=mo

Reactions: SaskiaKC

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Facebook feed today from diabetes.co.uk showed a video of what they called crepes. (They had a thick American style video today too.) It had a link to the low carb program https://bit.ly/2C3cfWl for the full recipe but as I haven’t paid for that I can’t get to it. But the video showed
1 egg
40g ground almonds
15g flaxseed
150ml whole milk

Rest 10 mins
Oil pan with 1tsp coconut oil and cook as usual.

No idea what it’d be like and I think I’d swap out the milk for a lower carb alternative. Can’t be bothered to work out the carbs now but it should be simple to do.

https://www.facebook.com/85975211995/posts/10156735761656996?sfns=mo
For the record I just tried this, subbed milk for watered down double cream. Errr...won’t bother again this way. Maybe coconut flour would work better. Tasted eggycompared to “normal” pancakes and also fell apart when cooked to the same thinness

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't help with recipes for pancakes, but thinking about them got me wondering how the idea of giving up meat for Lent got to being about feasting on pancakes on Pancake Tuesday. So I am planning a nice juicy hamburger for my Fat Tuesday feast instead of pancakes.

And somewhere in there I will go Google about Shrove Tuesday pancakes.
Hi Saskia hope you and KC are well. I was always told by the nuns at school that Lent was a period of fasting rather than giving up meat which used to be Canon law on Fridays decades ago. As the larder was run down approaching Lent the pancakes derived from the using of staples like eggs and flour. Of course Lent has long been a time when people chose to give up something, eg alcohol, chocolate, sweets, etc.
Seems like Lent is LCHF friendly once younget the pancakes out of the way!

M

Member496333

Pancakes were something I indulged in when I was trying to get diabetes. I achieved my goal so I’ve since given them up ;)

:shifty:

Reactions: jwd1

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have made some rather nice ones with pumpkin puree.
Will try and find the recipe.
Not too eggy, and not too coconutty.
My one criticism of them was that they were very fragile. Not a good idea to try flipping, or make a big one, because they fell apart while turning.

Poor Mr B loves a good American pancake, but I haven't found a really good LC recipe yet, despite the internet being smothered with different suggestions.

Edited to add: I have just had a good hunt and can't find the same recipe. Sorry. There are now hundreds of them, since punpkin pancakes seem to have taken over the internet, but the only recipes I can see now involve lots of coconut, 2 eggs (!) and pumpkin spices, all of which would ruin a perfectly good pancake, IMHO!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have made some rather nice ones with pumpkin puree.
Will try and find the recipe.
Not too eggy, and not too coconutty.
My one criticism of them was that they were very fragile. Not a good idea to try flipping, or make a big one, because they fell apart while turning.

Poor Mr B loves a good American pancake, but I haven't found a really good LC recipe yet, despite the internet being smothered with different suggestions.

Edited to add: I have just had a good hunt and can't find the same recipe. Sorry. There are now hundreds of them, since punpkin pancakes seem to have taken over the internet, but the only recipes I can see now involve lots of coconut, 2 eggs (!) and pumpkin spices, all of which would ruin a perfectly good pancake, IMHO!

I dislike coconut with a passion...............:yuck:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No substitutes for me hate anything made with almond flour and I tried coconut flour pancakes last year total disaster Pancakes are only good when made with real flour can't have that so we will be giving them a miss completely this year

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that it is the gluten that holds thin pancakes together without them being too eggy. I use wheat gluten when making low carb rolls but I don't have a recipe for pancakes.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Saskia hope you and KC are well. I was always told by the nuns at school that Lent was a period of fasting rather than giving up meat which used to be Canon law on Fridays decades ago. As the larder was run down approaching Lent the pancakes derived from the using of staples like eggs and flour. Of course Lent has long been a time when people chose to give up something, eg alcohol, chocolate, sweets, etc.
Seems like Lent is LCHF friendly once younget the pancakes out of the way!

Thanks, @PenguinMum we are doing very well. I hope you are. Those preparations for Lent remind me of things I've read about getting rid of all the leaven in the larder before Passover.

It also reminds me of the story of the feeding of the five thousand in John's Gospel, which took place just before Passover. So probably the people had already gotten rid of all the leavened bread in their houses, and where, indeed, could Jesus and His disciples have bought bread to feed them all? (John 6:5). Not a problem, of course, as it turned out!

I wonder if mozzarella cheese would make a good pancake? A T2 friend of mine makes tacos and pizza crust using shredded mozzarella. He lays it out in a circle on parchment paper in a baking pan and cooks it at 360 degrees until it is melted and just starting to brown. I think 360F = about 182C.