Sick day rule.

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I am on 8units of Humulin S with food. I am starting to go down with either a inner ear infection or tonsillitis.

As this happens often, I know that my appetite will be low/almost non. So the question is do I need to take my insulin if I’m not eating (someone mentioned SICK Day rules) or should I leave it?

I can’t find information for T2WI. Any advice would be useful.

Thank you in advance.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I am on 8units of Humulin S with food. I am starting to go down with either a inner ear infection or tonsillitis.

As this happens often, I know that my appetite will be low/almost non. So the question is do I need to take my insulin if I’m not eating (someone mentioned SICK Day rules) or should I leave it?

I can’t find information for T2WI. Any advice would be useful.

Thank you in advance.
Hello, I think it might be ideal to ask your diabetes nurse or doctor. But do you take any basal insulin? According to google, Humulin S is a short acting insulin, so you'll need basal insulin to carry you in the background.

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No Basal insulin. Just short acting. I will call diabetes centre tomorrow. Thank you

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No Basal insulin. Just short acting. I will call diabetes centre tomorrow. Thank you
Oh it might be difficult, I'm assuming humulin S lasts around 5-9hrs, so not all day. Which is why I asked about basal insulin. I hope you get better soon. Keep testing and keep yourself hydrated.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd test a lot to see what happens, as infections can make your bg go up. And yes, call the diabetes center.
Hope you'll feel better soon!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Commonly our Bg's go up and stay stubbornly up with any kind of infection. So it takes extra to keep it in control. You also then have to watch out for the "when it decides to finally work" drop. I'm sure your diabetes team will have a suggestion for dosing adjustments.