Sick days

Julie.reid1906

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are other people off work a lot just with diabetes? I feel like I'm off a lot just because I've had a rough night with high/low blood sugar. I feel awful for having to take time off work with my lame excuse of diabetes but it's like the worst hangover you've ever had. We have to fill in absence forms when we are off sick and symptoms on mines is always diabetes. Do other people find this?

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Julie, I never took time off work, but I certainly would have liked to on some occasions. I used to work in a shop, and there was one time I had the paramedics out in the evening due to a severe hypo. I must have got about three hours of sleep all told. However, it was near Christmas and all staff were desperately needed (it was a toy shop) so I forced myself to dose up on caffeine and somehow made it through.

Now, let's look at your situation. It's clear from this post that you are unhappy with your control, and it's affecting other parts of your life. Perhaps it is time to look seriously at making changes. If you are anything like I was, you feel trapped and scared by your condition. You are terrified by the complications, but just getting from the morning to the evening each day has become enough of a struggle without the added strain of radical alterations to your lifestyle.

If you can find the strength, there is a solution. My life has literally been saved by adopting a low carbohydrate diet. I enjoy food more now than I ever had before, and it satisfies me. My blood sugar rarely goes high or low, and if it does happen it is to a much lesser extent. I used to think 'well I'm 13.6, at least I'm not in the 20s.' Now I consider 9.0 to be way too high. Check out this video, it was such a revelation to me.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
fortunately for me, being primarily office based, even if I do feel a wee bit rough, I could still make it in............

if it was something more physical and outside for example, I would struggle from time to time........

overnight BG for me is good though...........the dawn phenomenon still catches me out sometimes, despite having the pump....

what specifically is wrong overnight at the moment..........?

getting a good start to the day can make a huge difference..........:)