Sickness And Sugar Levels Dropping

IslesCass

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi

My little boy is 11 we have just come back from holiday I picked up a sickness bug which unfortunately my lad has now got - he’s been sick before but his levels always go up however this time he keeps dropping too low. I have put a call into his DN so just waiting for her to call.

Just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions- he doesn’t want to eat anything at all as it goes straight through (sorry tmi).

Thank you
X

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
He needs advice from a doctor or if he is worsening, straight to a hospital.
Does he have a sick day plan, which outlines what to do in these circumstances?
I cannot give you professional advice but my sick day plan is to keep replacing lost fluids and food with SWEET soft drink or a propriety product like Gastro-lyte, from the chemist.
Little sips often rather than big mouthfuls. Passing urine every one to two hours tells me am staying hydrated.
I go to hospital if I have not been able to pass urine for 6 to 8 hours ( dehydration) and it will be less than that with an 11 year old, hence the need for medical advice.
I might reduce for insulin 10% but the stress of the illness and the sweet drink usually stops me going hypo.
With persistent blood sugars over 15 or hypos, in either case where dose adjustment say 20 % does nothing, is a reason not only to be in touch with doctor/nurse but perhaps think about hospital.
Blood in the vomit or stool, appearance of a rash or fevers say greater then 38 to 39 degree C are reasons to get to hospital pronto.
Please check with your doctor as these guidelines for me may not apply to your 11 your old.
Best Wishes for a speedy recovery.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @IslesCass Sorry to hear about your son. I also second that he has a sweet drink, fruit juice wouldn't help his stomach, personally I would see if he could drink a ginger ale which would help replace electrolytes and the ginger will help settle his tum, but anything will do as long as it helps keep his BG levels up, also just keep him hydrated with water, as he's low then regular blood testing at least every hour until he starts to feel a bit better, also use your mother's intuition and if you feel his condition is getting worse then straight into A&E, hope he starts to feel better soon, best wishes.

IslesCass

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you I have given him sweet drinks ribena as he doesn’t like fizzy drinks at all - he has risen into normal but I am checking him every hour also giving him water for hydration if he doesn’t improve I will take him straight to hospital- thank you

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good luck @IslesCass I know what a worry it is when they are unwell, if he can stomach anything then simple foods like crackers, bread to at least line his stomach.

IslesCass

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Little update we ended up in A&E as his key tones started to rise due to dehydration- anyway he is now home and fast asleep and OK - thanks guys love this forum for support x

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Good to hear he has been checked over and is home again.

Reactions: IslesCass

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Good news. All is well that ends well.
Making a Sick day plan is on the agenda.
Please let him know that we all think you are both heroes.

Reactions: IslesCass

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you for the update @IslesCass glad he's been looked after and is safe at home now, hope he get's better soon.