Sickness bug

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi my daughter has not been at school today due to having the sickness bug(think 10 in her class now)
Well to cut off I the chase I have it now.
Just done bloods and it’s sitting at 6 at the mo I know this is ok but it’s low for me, if I keep being sick will my bloods keep going down?

Thanks Jim....

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Are you on any medication which can make you go hypo? (eg insulin) Otherwise your blood sugar may well just be going down because you're not eating, and it can't go too low because your body won't produce insulin if you don't need it.

Having said that, there are T2 meds which can cause hypos, so if you're on any of those you may need advice from your doctor...

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are on insulin, make sure you have some glucagon on hand just in case! If you are unable to treat hypos with food, then it may be helpful to know you have backup if you get very low

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If by 'sickness bug', you mean you've got the nasty diarrhea & vomiting monster that is norovirus.. keep an eye on your BG in case you start going hypo and ride it out. Usually lasts a couple of days and is an unpleasent way to achieve weight loss. I guess the main thing is to stay hydrated and try to eat something. Good'ol chicken soup often works, and I've found scrambled eggs worked for me. But figure on something that's fast absorbing by the stomach, because it may not stay in your digestive system for long.

Oh.. and most hand sanitisers won't save people on account of them usually being antibacterial, and it's norovirus. Good'ol bleach or chlorine-based disinfectants work a lot better for clean-up & containment duties.