Sickness & Side effects Metaformin

Hi there members, having only recently been diagnosed with T2, I have been on Metaformin since Friday (3 days ) . I have experienced acute stomach pain and also been sick (my bloods shortly before feeling unwell was 10.7).

Has any other members experienced these known side effects and how long did they last . Thank you in advance

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there members, having only recently been diagnosed with T2, I have been on Metaformin since Friday (3 days ) . I have experienced acute stomach pain and also been sick (my bloods shortly before feeling unwell was 10.7).

Has any other members experienced these known side effects and how long did they last . Thank you in advance
This is very common, are you on the slow release metformin? If not ask to switch ASAP.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The tablets just say Metformin 500mg taking 2 tablets daily - one in morning and one in evening with food .
I will make enquires - thank you
I personally haven’t met anyone who could tolerate plain metformin, slow release ones do also take some getting used to but are much easier on the stomach. There is lots of great advice on this forum, as you have type 2 I hope you are able to reverse it. Do post again with any questions. Best wishes

I personally haven’t met anyone who could tolerate plain metformin, slow release ones do also take some getting used to but are much easier on the stomach. There is lots of great advice on this forum, as you have type 2 I hope you are able to reverse it. Do post again with any questions. Best wishes

Thank you. I have found this forum extremely helpful. I will ring my GP in the morning and get it sorted.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad could, he was on normal
I didn't have the significant effects some on here have, but minor gastro upsets but was switched over anyways to SR and was on for well over a decade with zero side effects so in some cases there is no adaptation period needed (plus other drugs)

As with many drugs you hear those badly affected mostly, honestly, many tolerate fine

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi and Welcome @Miss Pink Rose

Had no problem myself but so many on here have had similar experiences so would ask to get switched to the slow release. If you don't have one I would also suggest you get yourself a meter and in the shorterm reduce your carbs
Best wishes and let us know how you are going

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently started 1 500mg tablet a day, more to help circulation than for my borderline diabetes.(peripheral Artery disease) I had terrible bloating and wind, but my wife surprisingly accepted it was not my fault. I had figured fair enough i can live with it. However i have Diverticular disease as well, and when that flared up with the wind it was excruciating, and caused severe vomiting as my body was desperate to rid itself of any stomach contents that had nowhere to go. Switched to slow release and touch wood no problems. Hang in there things will settle down eventually.

Reactions: muzza3 and EllieM

Debbib59

I just started Metforman and I’m having all kinds of intestinal issues. But thanks to this conversation I’ll be calling my dr. on Monday to get the time release version.
Thank you all for the great advice, I think I’m going to like it here.

Reactions: muzza3 and EllieM

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on the slow release version. I still need to take it with/after food. When I was taking it without food I ended up with some stomach pain so just keep that in mind.

Good luck

Reactions: Miss Pink Rose

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin will cause issues especially if taken with foods with a high carb content.
The slow release ones are a tad better on the stomach but I’m taking the liquid one and apart from the horrible taste (I normally take a spoonful of yogurt after), it’s not so bad and easier than the tablets.
*Switch to the extended release tablets.
*Reduce carbs on it.
*Take with a meal
*Do not start and stop it (Let the body get used to it)
*If it gets really bad then ask for liquid Metformin.
Good luck ❣️

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin will cause issues especially if taken with foods with a high carb content.
The slow release ones are a tad better on the stomach but I’m taking the liquid one and apart from the horrible taste (I normally take a spoonful of yogurt after), it’s not so bad and easier than the tablets.
*Switch to the extended release tablets.
*Reduce carbs on it.
*Take with a meal
*Do not start and stop it (Let the body get used to it)
*If it gets really bad then ask for liquid Metformin.
Good luck ❣️
Sone never have issues, I never had issues on SR but had sone minor upset on normal. My dad as I said was fine on normals. I agree with all your other points, there are ways to help

Not to say anyone should put up with issues if it doesn’t settle. I have seen suggestions that probiotics can sometimes help, slow release definitely is advised if normal isn’t tolerated but ultimately unfortunately some people can’t tolerate but hopefully there are other options

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hipsters :D
I've just been recently diagnosed, and I just started on Metformin last week, Dr's told me to take 1 x 500mg after main meal each day, then step up to 1 x 500mg twice daily after breakfast and evening meal.

Still on the 1 x tablet a day, but first few days tummy was really upset, lots of trips to the loo, gassy and tummy constantly churning and gurgling throughout the day.

Seems to be settling down a little now, I'm about 8 days in.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been recently diagnosed, and I just started on Metformin last week, Dr's told me to take 1 x 500mg after main meal each day, then step up to 1 x 500mg twice daily after breakfast and evening meal.

Still on the 1 x tablet a day, but first few days tummy was really upset, lots of trips to the loo, gassy and tummy constantly churning and gurgling throughout the day.

Seems to be settling down a little now, I'm about 8 days in.
It’s good it is settling but having slow release is always an option if it doesn’t improve and if that doesn’t work then engage with your doctors. Any reasonable doctor won’t leave you to suffer

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.

Hi. This was me about 3 weeks ago. I couldn’t tolerate it at all. I was sick, upset stomach and nausea. I was rather unwell. My GP gave me anti sickness pills (didn’t work). My nurse said to only take one tablet with main meal (didn’t work) - then slowly I stopped being sick and slowly I stopped feeling sick. At work someone had one of those silly fake poo things and were messing around with it - I couldn’t stop heaving; I was that bad. BUT now I am completely fine. No feeling sick etc. I would say it took 3 weeks maybe 4. It was an awful feeling and my blood was about 10 2 hrs after food too. Good luck and if you hang on long enough; it will pass. Xxxxx.
PS I am on the slow release but it still took this long to tolerate it. Always take the tablet immediately after you have eaten on a full stomach. X.