Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Good morning
I haven't vomited since I was a teenager and I am now 50.
I have always worked around people and have a theory that this has helped my immune system.
Well I was as sick as a dog on Saturday night in a B&B in north wales and it was a shocker.......

My wife and I picked up our new car and had booked a B&B in north wales to get used to the new motor.
Journey was great weather fabulous B&B really nice and we went out for our evening meal.
I started feeling a bit "not Quite" at about 10 pm and went to the bathroom.....
Oh my days.
I have been type 1 for 44 years and never been hospitalised or had the need of a paramedic.
I am better controlled now than I have ever been and as fit as a butchers dog.
I am diabetic and I have a will of iron.
My will became a won't........

As the food left me it left units of insulin sloshing around my body with nothing to do.......

My bloods went lower and lower and I felt like death.

At 1.9 I managed to hold onto a jelly baby so one more and then one more......

Set my phone for 30 minute intervals in case I fell asleep and it stayed at 1.9 for about 2 hours then after what seemed like an eternity of illness jelly babies and fear I got a 6.7.

Fear had really kicked in at this point so a shed load more of jelly babies and managed some water.

In the meantime my poor wife had done her best to help but what can she do other than worry and debate a hundred times whether to call the emergency services.

I woke at 6.30 with a reading of 22.1 and whilst I felt as rough as toast I was just relieved to be alive!

A dramatic story I know and I don't tend to post darker experiences as I don't like to get people down but such was the shock to my system I thought I'd share it.
Perhaps I should have let the paramedics come as my wife wanted.
I certainly shouldn't have eaten the extra jelly babies but I know why I did.
I intend to get my own glycogen injection kit but this probably won't happen again.

All the best

Tony

ps
My wife thought we should return home but I insisted on going to the beach and had a lovely day despite feeling rough....
That diabetic will of iron had returned!

pps
My wife says its not a will of iron its just plain stubbornness............

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Good to hear that you are safe.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Good morning
I have always worked around people and have a theory that this has helped my immune system.
Well I was as sick as a dog on Saturday night in a B&B in north wales and it was a shocker.......

My wife and I picked up our new car and had booked a B&B in north wales to get used to the new motor.
Journey was great weather fabulous B&B really nice and we went out for our evening meal.
I started feeling a bit "not Quite" at about 10 pm and went to the bathroom.....
Oh my days.
I have been type 1 for 44 years and never been hospitalised or had the need of a paramedic.

As the food left me it left units of insulin sloshing around my body with nothing to do.......

Wow. I'm so glad to hear you got through it. It's things like this that make me thank my lucky stars that I am T" not T1.
Set my phone for 30 minute intervals in case I fell asleep and it stayed at 1.9 for about 2 hours then after what seemed like an eternity of illness jelly babies and fear I got a 6.7.

Fear had really kicked in at this point so a shed load more of jelly babies and managed some water.

In the meantime my poor wife had done her best to help but what can she do other than worry and debate a hundred times whether to call the emergency services.

I woke at 6.30 with a reading of 22.1 and whilst I felt as rough as toast I was just relieved to be alive!

A dramatic story I know and I don't tend to post darker experiences as I don't like to get people down but such was the shock to my system I thought I'd share it.
I intend to get my own glycogen injection kit but this probably won't happen again.

All the best

Tony

ps
My wife thought we should return home but I insisted on going to the beach and had a lovely day despite feeling rough....

pps

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Tony337

Glad to hear you're ok sounds like a really bad bout of food poisoning, hopefully a one off..

The unfortunate thing about illness is that you have to work twice as hard to stay safe, which is mentally a drain, you were lucky your wife was there to help you, but yes get that glycogen kit sorted, it's really important for peace of mind and hopefully this will never happen again :)

Reactions: Dodo

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I assume your doctor and/or nurse had worked out a 'sick day plan' at some time in the past. Of course that could have been years ago in the mists of time and not easy to recall when you are feeling like death warmed up, so to speak!
I use flattened SWEET soft drink in these situations. Either leaving the top off the bottle and perhaps a spoon in the cupful or gently heating some soft drink in the microwave to remove the fizz.
Little sips often. If I have not been able to pass urine for > 8 hours I get to hospital for re-hydration.
Often, but not always ( as you found out) the sugar from the soft drink keeps the blood sugar up.
The stress of the illness may kick in to raise the blood sugar but a bit later.
I NEVER stop my insulin but if really concerned about oit getting too low I might ease it back 10% to 20%.
A quaint piece of advice I heard was to fill water containers from the hot tap in the hotel, and let them cool in the fridge over night. Use that water rather than any local water on the street of a foreign city. The idea was that the water heater in the hotel would boil the water and kill any bugs in the local water. Of course these days there are UV treatments and treatment chemicals.
Foods are of course trickier, Salads seem to be a common offender for causing food poisoning I gather.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
. Use that water rather than any local water on the street of a foreign city. The idea was that the water heater in the hotel would boil the water and kill any bugs in the local water.

Great advice in the post, but this quote made me laugh. They were in north Wales - which supplies most of the water to north west England. When I was kid some public loos had graffiti reading "don't flush, England needs the water" as some villages had been flooded for reservoirs.

Reactions: Dodo and porl69

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning

Oh my days.

All the best

Tony

ps

pps
Good on you, you did well! I've been in similar situations myself and have to agree with your wife, stubborn is my middle name according to my husband.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A few years pre diagnosis I caught the norovirus and I couldn't keep anything down - not even sips of flat lemonade. I flatly refused to go into work recently when my boss said his kids had been vomiting.

Well done on pulling through. Must have been frightening and I feel for your wife!