Sight issues due to diabetic retinopathy.

meenahoque

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I am new and using the site for the first time. So please bear with me while I learn to use the site properly.
I am having sight issues due to diabetic ratinopathy. It would be helpful for myself to know whether anyone had similar issues and what treatments followed.
Thanks

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @meenahoque and welcome to the forums. Many many diabetics (of all types) have issues with diabetic retinopathy so hopefully you'll get some helpful answers.

I've had mild on again off again background retinopathy for several decades, and in my youth I was told I'd need laser treatment for it by the time I was 40, but at almost 60 mine is still at the level where they monitor but don't treat. The whole point of the monitoring system is that very few diabetics now lose their sight as a result of diabetic eye changes.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself, your diabetes and your eye issues?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I asked questions the first time I was told I had mild retinopathy requiring no treatment. My consultant said I would have no symptoms before treatment was offered, as annual screening would show when treatment was necessary long before sight was affected.
Have you seen your optician recently. One year the change in my sight was so great that I could not get the full increase in prescription, as my brain wouldn't be able to cope with it. Perhaps you have the same kind of problem.
Good luck.