1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sight issues due to diabetic retinopathy.

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by meenahoque, Jan 27, 2022.

1. meenahoque

meenahoque Type 2 · Member

Hi
    I am new and using the site for the first time. So please bear with me while I learn to use the site properly.
    I am having sight issues due to diabetic ratinopathy. It would be helpful for myself to know whether anyone had similar issues and what treatments followed.
    Thanks

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @meenahoque and welcome to the forums. Many many diabetics (of all types) have issues with diabetic retinopathy so hopefully you'll get some helpful answers.

I've had mild on again off again background retinopathy for several decades, and in my youth I was told I'd need laser treatment for it by the time I was 40, but at almost 60 mine is still at the level where they monitor but don't treat. The whole point of the monitoring system is that very few diabetics now lose their sight as a result of diabetic eye changes.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself, your diabetes and your eye issues?

3. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I asked questions the first time I was told I had mild retinopathy requiring no treatment. My consultant said I would have no symptoms before treatment was offered, as annual screening would show when treatment was necessary long before sight was affected.
    Have you seen your optician recently. One year the change in my sight was so great that I could not get the full increase in prescription, as my brain wouldn't be able to cope with it. Perhaps you have the same kind of problem.
    Good luck.

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook