AmyEliz92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, I've been type 1 for 17 years now and just received my eye screening results.

I have been informed I have signs of diabetic maculopathy and that I need to have my eyes screened every 3 months. I am so terrified this is going to lead to permanent damage.

My action plan is to get my diabetes as controlled as possible to limit any further damage.

Has anyone experienced something similar? If so what happened? Is it something that can be maintained?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi all, I've been type 1 for 17 years now and just received my eye screening results.

I have been informed I have signs of diabetic maculopathy and that I need to have my eyes screened every 3 months. I am so terrified this is going to lead to permanent damage.

My action plan is to get my diabetes as controlled as possible to limit any further damage.

Has anyone experienced something similar? If so what happened? Is it something that can be maintained?
Easy to say, but try not to panic. Anything negative from Ophthalmology is always very worrying. I was told I had retinopathy in both eyes after 20 years of Type 1 in 1979. Although my avatar was taken 6 years ago, I still only use reading glasses and still drive. Obviously I cannot comment on outcomes, but the best thing you can do is keep your blood sugar as stable and below 8
as much as you can. Illness can upset that, but odd blips shouldn't matter. Hope all goes well.