Simple android logging app recommendations?

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I've recently started on the Freestyle Libre, and am trying to develop a better understanding of my patterns.
So I'd like to have a quick and easy way of recording my insulin times and doses, food and exercise to go along with the glucose tracking.
I briefly tried MySugr, but didn't like it at all - way too much extra fluff. I'm looking for something more clean and simple.
At the moment I'm just using Google Keep and adding a note each time I inject/eat along with manually noting the time, but it would be helpful to have something that would automatically link notes to times, and in a format that is then easy to somehow overlay with the Libre data.

Any suggestions?

BrianInMidlands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I trying MumoActive on iPhone - they also have an android app. Definitely clean, maybe a bit too clean ! I've fallen out of the habit of noting results though so keep forgetting !

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Use the Libre itself?
Thanks Tim, yes for injections I guess noting them directly on the Libre makes sense, but I'd like something where I can write a brief description of what I ate, and as far as I can see the Libre only lets me note grams of carbs.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Diaconnect for me too - it's spot on.

Burshtina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.managebgl.com/ This one is very good. It lets you track insulin intake, carbs, glucose levels and to adjust your carbs-to-insulin and blood sugar-to-insulin rates. plus, if tuned correctly, it helps to roughly predict your blood sugar level in real time. Cheers.

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use MyNetDiary Diabetes. It probably has more than you need as logs food and other things as well but a good android app.

LyndaC

Hi all,

I've recently started on the Freestyle Libre, and am trying to develop a better understanding of my patterns.
So I'd like to have a quick and easy way of recording my insulin times and doses, food and exercise to go along with the glucose tracking.
I briefly tried MySugr, but didn't like it at all - way too much extra fluff. I'm looking for something more clean and simple.
At the moment I'm just using Google Keep and adding a note each time I inject/eat along with manually noting the time, but it would be helpful to have something that would automatically link notes to times, and in a format that is then easy to somehow overlay with the Libre data.

Any suggestions?
I've started using MySugr app on my Nexus 7 it allows notes, meals, carb counting etc..... Very good so far, much better than the notebook I used to keep!

Kimbag73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I love MySugr. It has been my saviour in starting to ale some personal responsibility for testing and logging and noticing patterns. It great that you can tag and see if you guessed your carbs the impact that had on later readings. I think it is probably most useful if you have been on a DAFNE course though

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping
Glimp on Android can replace the libre meter completely if the phone has NFC reader, so it scans the sensors, add notes and food info, exercise, etc. I wouldn't recommend the complete replacement of the meter but in theory you can and it does what you ask in the the requirements https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.ct.glicemia

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Glimp on Android can replace the libre meter completely if the phone has NFC reader, so it scans the sensors, add notes and food info, exercise, etc. I wouldn't recommend the complete replacement of the meter but in theory you can and it does what you ask in the the requirements https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.ct.glicemia
Thanks @loafhead - I've actually tried out Glimp, and quite like it.
I was a bit put off scanning the sensor with it though since seeing @tim2000s post here, and I thought I remembered hearing someone else saying that after using it the libre reader stopped reading that sensor - can't find it now though. For this reason, so far I've only used it when a sensor is in its last hours (and managed to get a few more hours use beyond its official lifespan).

Can anyone confirm whether using Glimp on a sensor has any effect on the usual operation of that sensor with the Libre reader?

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping
Thanks @loafhead - I've actually tried out Glimp, and quite like it.
I was a bit put off scanning the sensor with it though since seeing @tim2000s post here, and I thought I remembered hearing someone else saying that after using it the libre reader stopped reading that sensor - can't find it now though. For this reason, so far I've only used it when a sensor is in its last hours (and managed to get a few more hours use beyond its official lifespan).

Can anyone confirm whether using Glimp on a sensor has any effect on the usual operation of that sensor with the Libre reader?
I've used it since getting the meter, it didn't work at all (read fail) on the first sensor for few days, but no problems since. I work in technology and I do not believe the sensors can be damaged by the scanner. It is essentially dumb and only reads and transmits, they can't be modified by a reader, otherwise hackers or any NFC reader has the ability to damage a sensor, which the manufacturer would not be allowed to sell in that case. Try putting a contactless debit card near the reader, it doesn't stop the card working. The issue sounds more like a damaged or end of life sensor. Just my view but I do a lot of work in authentication of people and devices and "the internet of things" = connected devices

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Westley, it seems that it depends on the phone implementation of NFC that drives whether it kills a sensor. The Samsung Alpha seems to be particularly bad whereas the more expensive phones seem not to cause issues.

@loafhead, in this case the scanner does do something active with the sensor in that the start new sensor code seems to trigger a timer in the sensor module. Given that different messages seem to be able to do different things, some NFCs do cause failure, although what the failure is of isn't clear.

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am very impressed with a free one off Google Play called "Diabetes :M". You can put as much or as little into it, including BG, times, food Carbs, insulin intakes, types of food and also put notes on. Very good reports including a printable diary, pie charts, and plenty more. I email these straight to my DSN at the hospital for her to give me quick feedback. You need to check which reports are best suited, so suggest trying different ones and email them to your self to see first. I would definitely recommend this, well worth looking at and trying ; it is free, you might find it useful!

SamFergusson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Hi @Westley
I also use 'Diabetes:M' like asa35 above.
I highly recommend it, It's so simple to use & gives great charts & graphs to show your patterns.
Hope you find something that works well for you :)