Simvastatin

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all looking for some help please.

Got appt with new DSN next month & want to discuss the meds I'm on with her.

Googled Simvastatin & this came up

Do not take Simvastatin

If you have a history of liver disease, history of kidney disease, diabetes, a thyroid disorder, if you drink alcoholic beverages daily, are breastfeeding or pregnant. If you are already using any of these other medicines: amiodarone (Cordarone, Pacerone), diltiazem(Cartia, Cardizem), amlodipine (Norvasc, Caduet, Exforge, Lotrel, Tekamlo, Tribenzor, Twynsta, Amturnide), ranolazine (Ranexa) or verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan).

Any one know if it is correct that diabetics shouldn't be on Simvastatin?

Google can be wonderful but....

Thanks Smartie xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Smartie,

There are several threads around the forums about Simvastatin and other statins. As far as I am aware there is no specific reason why diabetics shouldn't take Simvastatin, BUT one of the recognised side effects is that it can raise glucose levels, so this is probably the reason why your Google article says this.

All I know from a personal point of view is that when I was diagnosed my cholesterol was slightly raised, but not enough to warrant medication under normal circumstances. However, my GP prescribed Simvastatin BECAUSE of my diabetes diagnosis. This was done because diabetes greatly increases the risk of heart problems and cardio-vascular disease so they want to eliminate any other risk factors. This is the reason my GP gave me.

Reactions: 3 people

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm Type 2 diabetic, and I've been on Simvastatin for years, together with a whole list of other medication for diabetes and other serious health problems, and I'm still alive and kicking! For some of that time (though not at present) my list of other medications included two on your list of things NOT to be taken with Simvastatin. Where did you get your list from? I have regular medication reviews to check that I am on appropriate drugs and that possible contra-indications are taken into account, and I always make a point of asking the doctor to check possible interactions whenever any changes are made to my medication regime.
Every patient is different, and sometimes the need to treat a particular condition can override other considerations....only the doctor and pharmacist can make those judgments. But in any case, from what I have read Simvstatin IS suitable for use by diabetics, and may be prescribed BECAUSE a patient has diabetes.
There is also a section of the community who are fiercely opposed to the use of statins on various grounds, some "medical" and some "conspiracy theory" based. They are entitled to their opinion, of course, but I do not hold it as it is my view that I have lived this long partly thanks to the statins!

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As it says in the link Noblehead posted,

Your prescriber may only prescribe this medicine with special care or may not prescribe it at all if you are;

• are about to have surgery
  • are aged over 65 years
  • are allergic or sensitive to or have had a bad reaction to statin or a fibrate in the past
  • are allergic or sensitive to or have had a reaction to any of the ingredients in the medicine
  • are breast-feeding
  • are female
  • are pregnant
  • are taking fusidic acid or have taken it within the past seven days
  • drink alcohol heavily
  • have hypothyroidism
  • have kidney problems
  • have liver problems
  • have or have a family history of muscle disorders
  • have or have had high blood pressure
  • have risk factors for rhabdomyolysis

It seems women doesn't benefit that much from statins. anyway.

Reactions: Poppy09

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks every one for your replies, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I think on the whole Sim is safe to take, just need to decide if I want to continue to take it now.

Smartie xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in a similar place to you, @smartlady I was put on them when I was diagnosed back in January. I have recently stopped taking them for 2 reasons. First I want to see if my blood glucose improves and second because my next test is due in June and I want to clear my system of them to see what happens to my cholesterol levels without them.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I was prescribed Simvastatin but refuse to take them - see sig below.