sitagliptin advice please

Orlando00

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone can tell me this or not but has anyone taken this medicine and suddenly after a few weeks for a burning feeling in the tip of their private part?

It's been 3 weeks and it hasn't gone away, all uti come back negative and I haven't changed partner in 4 years.

The doctors are at a loss but I remember starting this pill around that time and not sure if it could cause this?

Any ideas?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The FDA drugwatch in the USA is often more informative than here in the uk, and at the moment they are not reporting any symptoms that match your reported problem. There are however some important warnings you should be made aware of
https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm343187.htm

There is another family of medecines (the Gliflozins) that do carry a related warning similar to yours, but Sitagliptin is not related to those medications.

Reactions: SimonCrox

Orlando00

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for the reply, I'm not sure what's causing this then. It could be because my bloods was in the high 13 to 15 for months but I'm not sure.

SimonCrox

Burning pain sounds neuropathic to me. Generally follows a "Glove and stocking" peripheral neuropathy pattern but can sometimes just pick out one nerve root. So I have seen burning pain in a band on peoples' trunks and once it occurred when someone passed urine (urinary tract infection excluded) - so rare. And generally no way to proove neuropathic in origin. But the root distribution pain often seemed to occur after a short period of high glucose levels and would often settle after 4-6 weeks improved control.
Apart from high glucose levels, I am not aware of any other risk factors that one should look at, but I'd optomise vitamin D levels anyway and might as well heck B12 level and thryoid function.
In terms of treatment, good glucose control seems important; I guess that one could try the drugs / tablets that one uses for standard neuropathic pain such as pregabalin, gabapentin, duloxetine, amitriptylline etc, but would avoid the topical things like lidocaine or capsaicin given the location of the problem. But if you do try something, it would be worth reviewing the prescription after 6 weeks of improved diabetic control cos problem might have resolved by then
So I don't think that it is related to the sitagliptin
best wishes

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was on Sitagliptin and so have others but I have not seen a report of this side effect.

Orlando00

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The doctor has taken me off these pills for a week to check it isn't them causing it.

3 weeks now and the pain is unbearable.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The doctor has taken me off these pills for a week to check it isn't them causing it.

3 weeks now and the pain is unbearable.
There are some reports of this med possibly linked to Stevens-Johnson Syndrome which affects the genitals, Seems to be in patients also taking Metformin at the same time or in the same med (Janumet)