Sitagliptin experiences...?

LonelyFatGuy

As per this post of mine back in February, I seemed to be experiencing a 2mmol reduction in my post-breakfast increase when I introduced 100mg of Sitagliptin.

At some point I stopped enjoying that benefit. So I've now been on it for about 12 weeks, not knowing exactly at what point it stopped working for me. Seems it was very short-lived.

Given that it no longer seems to be working, of course I've been contemplating coming off it.

A nurse in the 'treatment room' of my local GP surgery said that Sitagliptin "takes a long time to start working", which seemed strange to me, since I was experiencing near immediate effects from it, and now a few months down the road I am not. (she said this in response to my asking why an A1c test had not been ordered at the 8 week point; so maybe the GP was also of the opinion that it was too soon to expect results from it)

I'd like to hear other people's experiences of the drug, and any argument for staying on it, despite it apparently no longer fulfilling it's main and easily measurable function...?

If my pancreas is saying no, why continue to 'prod' it with the medication...?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As per this post of mine back in February, I seemed to be experiencing a 2mmol reduction in my post-breakfast increase when I introduced 100mg of Sitagliptin.

At some point I stopped enjoying that benefit. So I've now been on it for about 12 weeks, not knowing exactly at what point it stopped working for me. Seems it was very short-lived.

Given that it no longer seems to be working, of course I've been contemplating coming off it.

A nurse in the 'treatment room' of my local GP surgery said that Sitagliptin "takes a long time to start working", which seemed strange to me, since I was experiencing near immediate effects from it, and now a few months down the road I am not. (she said this in response to my asking why an A1c test had not been ordered at the 8 week point; so maybe the GP was also of the opinion that it was too soon to expect results from it)

I'd like to hear other people's experiences of the drug, and any argument for staying on it, despite it apparently no longer fulfilling it's main and easily measurable function...?

If my pancreas is saying no, why continue to 'prod' it with the medication...?
Sitagliptin is designed to help with the first phase insulin/hormonal response. To help with a lower glucose spike after eating. It also is true, the drug works better after a couple of weeks to build up for consistent treatment.
I had my dose increased from 50mg to 100mg as your build and weight can be an influence on how high the dosage should be.
If you have insulin resistance the drug helps with the extra insulin.
Obviously I can't answer your question.
But unless you have been told, what is causing your hyperglycaemia, and why the drug isn't working.
It does seem that you are still getting the high spikes.
Have you adjusted your dietary regime?
You may need to cut more carbs and sugars to help with lowering the spikes.
Have you had any other tests other than the hba1c blood panel?

But you are better getting an appointment with your GP, to discuss the spikes and of course the sitagliptin.

Reactions: Antje77

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm on alogliptin but in the great scheme of things it doesn't seem to have made much difference.
I haven't been drastically scientific about it, though.

Reactions: Antje77

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I checked my medical records as sitagliptin sounded familiar. Used to be on it years ago, but then was moved onto a different cocktail of drugs. Can't say I remember anything about what it did to me and my BG, as at the time, I wasn't really paying much attention to my health in general.

LonelyFatGuy

I'm on alogliptin but in the great scheme of things it doesn't seem to have made much difference.
I haven't been drastically scientific about it, though.
I don't know if testing with your meter would fall into "drastically scientific" or not.

Did you bother at all to test and see if it was working, to what degree, and how long any effect lasted...?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I don't know if testing with your meter would fall into "drastically scientific" or not.

Did you bother at all to test and see if it was working, to what degree, and how long any effect lasted...?
I self fund Libre 2 so I always have a reasonable picture of where my BG is at (has been/is going).
I didn't notice a sudden increase in my capacity for carbohydrates, which was what I was really hoping for.