Sitagliptin side effects - when and how long?

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am currently on Metformin 500mg XR per day and i am going to start a gliptin tomorrow. Anybody has any experience on what side effects to expect and how long they may last? The leaflet talks about runny nose and related effects. I just want to be prepared especially how long they may last.

Thanks

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The manufacturers of this med are being scrutinised by the FDA, Their trial data for the cardiovascular trials were not accepted by the FDA, and there remains a question mark over this med.
https://investors.merck.com/news/pr...for-TECOS-Study-with-Sitagliptin/default.aspx

From a personal experience, I was on this med for abut 3 months. I found it did nothing for my sugar levels, and I went on to a different med.

Reactions: Shas3

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been on sitagliptin now for over four years now, and no side effects.
But as with most drugs, it is so individual, who can cope and those that do have side effects. If it used to lower blood glucose levels, because the drug improves initial insulin response to offset the spike derived from food, then if you do have side effects, it can be changed to other diabetic Gliptin drugs or other blood glucose lowering meds.

I would like to add, if you believe something will happen, it probably will.
So, if you are anxious about the drug, then your experience of the drug will be counterproductive and counterintuitive. So if you start taking the drug, give it time to work for you, because if you wake up on the day after or third day with a sniffle, you will blame the drug, whereas, you may have got the cold before taking it. It may have nothing to do with the drug.
Only when the symptoms persist and a real change in your wellness and wellbeing happening should you go back to your GP.

Best wishes

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on sitagliptin now for over four years now, and no side effects.
But as with most drugs, it is so individual, who can cope and those that do have side effects. If it used to lower blood glucose levels, because the drug improves initial insulin response to offset the spike derived from food, then if you do have side effects, it can be changed to other diabetic Gliptin drugs or other blood glucose lowering meds.

I would like to add, if you believe something will happen, it probably will.
So, if you are anxious about the drug, then your experience of the drug will be counterproductive and counterintuitive. So if you start taking the drug, give it time to work for you, because if you wake up on the day after or third day with a sniffle, you will blame the drug, whereas, you may have got the cold before taking it. It may have nothing to do with the drug.
Only when the symptoms persist and a real change in your wellness and wellbeing happening should you go back to your GP.

Best wishes

Thanks a lot Lamont. Very wise words. I agree, starting with suspicion is probably not a good idea. I think i am just thinking of my experience with Forxiga, which made me extremely hungry and thirsty and somewhat shaky. It took me a while to link to Forxiga. Thanks again.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
The manufacturers of this med are being scrutinised by the FDA, Their trial data for the cardiovascular trials were not accepted by the FDA, and there remains a question mark over this med.
https://investors.merck.com/news/pr...for-TECOS-Study-with-Sitagliptin/default.aspx

From a personal experience, I was on this med for abut 3 months. I found it did nothing for my sugar levels, and I went on to a different med.
I could hardly live on this drug. They say the Metformin is an adjunct but I found neither that nor the drug itself nudged the numbers. But worst of all, I slept all day every day and I had a daily headaches all day long.. Very hard to live -- Big Pharma.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started my gliptin yesterday.. it is called Onglyza or something like that. I believe it is the same as saxagliptin. Two days now. Will see how it goes.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3 days on gliptin I haven’t had any side effect (touch wood). Didn’t poop on day 3 - not sure if related to gliptin! To be observed and followed up