Sitting on the Throne - often!

DeafDiabetic

I'm finding about an hour after I've had a reasonable or good meal I need to retire to the smallest room in the house to part company with said meal(s).

Is this normal? Possibly one of the side effects of Metaformin? (3 x 500mg daily).

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Metformin can have 'unfortunate' effects which usually settle down after a week or so, sometimes longer. If you still have problems then you should ask your Gp for the SR/MR versions. Same stuff but with a slow or modified release of the active ingredient.

Is this Deja Vu......? I have the distinct feeling that I answered this one or something very similar to you not so long ago..... :? Must be my age or something.. :( I think I need a lie down....... :arrow:

DeafDiabetic

No, no...you're quite right..I did recently ask a similar (but different :eek: ) question so you have'nt really got a valid reason for a lie down I'm afraid....... :)

Wolfgang

I've suffered the same dire effect, so to speak, since starting on Metformin about six weeks ago. I've been on three a day for three weeks, which seems to have made it worse. Most evenings I'll go three or four times. This evening it was five or six (I stopped counting), and we had friends over for dinner which only made me feel worse.

I've mentioned this to both my GP and the practice nurse, but both say it's just an unfortunate side effect. I have IBS which only adds to to the problem as I feel like I want to go even when I don't need to. It's getting me down - this evening I cried in frustration.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Wolfgang.
The previous resonse I gave to DD also applies to you. You should not have to suffer in this way.

See your GP and ask for the SR/MR versions.......it is an alternative which they should offer you.

dingbat

I was terrible similar problems until I came off metformin, some people are intolerant to it apparently, if I remember rightly I went on to gliclazide which was fine

cugila

Master
Dislikes
dingbat said:
I was terrible similar problems until I came off metformin, some people are intolerant to it apparently, if I remember rightly I went on to gliclazide which was fine

I hope they told you that Gliclazide, especially in large doses can have the effect of weight gain as it stimulates the Pancreas to produce more Insulin. A surplus of Insulin gets stored as fat, adipose tissue (tummy).

So long as you monitor your Bg levels and watch for any increase in weight it can be very effective without those Metformin effects ! :)

stewart.uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Not eating fast carbs.
Slow release did the job for me. But you have to ask even puch for them perhaps. SR cost the NHS more so they try you on the ordinary metformin. But if you need SR you need SR.
Take care