Skin feels like it is crawling with Ants

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Every time I lay down the top of my legs feel like there are bugs crawling all over them. I feel like I'm going mad, I am constantly checking them. It's so strange as I don't have any problems with my feet or hands. Is there anything I can do? I'm a T2D.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
is your blood glucose high `?

if your blood glucose is high, then it is worth trying to go lower in the amount of carbs eaten, and eat more meat, avocadoes, olives , tomatoes, cucumbers , lidl--protein rolls, nuts , high fat yoghurt , creme , olive oil, bacon and cheese, and vegs grown over ground... except from corn

and avoid bread, potatoes, pasta, flour, sugar,corn, fruits, and sugary drinks all kinds...

try to be under 150 grams of carbs in total on a daily basis

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetit1802

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
to most it is possible to get low to normal blood glucose by avoiding carbs as much as possible
preferably try to get at least under 7.5 mmol

here is a picture of where ones blood glucose ought to be if you are aiming for normal blood glucose, note normal is only the green area
50shades - Copy.png

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That itchy skin feeling can be high blood sugars. I suggest next time you feel it you test immediately. It could also be the start of neuropathy, which doesn't necessarily start in the feet. It can start with any of the nerves. On the other hand, it could be nothing to do with diabetes.

Are you on any diabetes medications? Your levels, even at 9, seem a bit high.

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, thanks for the replys
Yes I am on Metformin at the moment. 2x500mg but my Nurse wants to put me on something called trulicity as well.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I am on Metformin at the moment. 2x500mg but my Nurse wants to put me on something called trulicity as well.

Metformin is only like a stick to lean at, it doesn´t solve the whole problem with high blood glucose, it mainly works on the liver where it slows the rate the liver changes proteins into blood glucose, but doesn´t work much on what we eat.
the main way to get a good control in type 2 diabetes is by changing what we eat... thats the most important thing to learn and do actually..

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

You may be able to get those numbers down to better levels if you tweak your diet by reducing the amount of carbs you eat (assuming you haven't already done this). The fewer carbs the lower your levels will be. Carbs such as bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals and flour are the worst culprits in raising BS levels. Going low carb has amazing success.

I'll tag @daisy1 who has an excellent post that will help you.

Reactions: Freema

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was itching all over when I was taking Metformin and a statin - I had such a miserable time. It was mainly around my hips and my shoulders.
I did not have the itching when my BG was high, only when taking Metformin. It doesn't seem to help at all with blood glucose, you need to cut out high carb foods and watch your readings to try to get lower levels.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Every time I lay down the top of my legs feel like there are bugs crawling all over them. I feel like I'm going mad, I am constantly checking them. It's so strange as I don't have any problems with my feet or hands. Is there anything I can do? I'm a T2D.

Hi, your symptoms could be diabetes related with higher BS, but reading your post, the symptoms could possibly be RLS, Restless leg syndrome, as lying down ( resting) and the feeling of crawling ants are classic symptoms, so it could be RLS. You will need to go and see you GP for help and a proper diagnosis.
Good luck and I hope you can get some relief very soon, take care.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Billy7764

Hello Billy and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope this will help you. Ask as many questions as you want and you will get answers, especially from members who have experience with your problems.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

James1728

Just a thought but are you taking any blood pressure tablets. I am and have been getting the same symptoms. I am on my third type and it is getting less. I understand from others that this is not uncommon.

Reactions: Billy7764

Billy7764

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I am on three different types of blood pressure tablets, I will speak to my GP about it. Thanks.

Reactions: Guzzler

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the replys and info, I have a lot of reading to do. Is there a code for the low carb program it says it's £30 not free? Billy.

Hi Billy, sorry you seem to be having trouble accessing the low carb programme. Don't think there's any code to access but try following this and see if you get any better success:-
- click on Forums at the top of whatever page you're on (takes you to the main opening page)
- scroll down to the sub-forum heading 'Low Carb Forum' and click on that
- in the "Sticky Threads" at the top section of that forum, there is a thread titled "Low Carb Programme - 10 week course for T2D.
- click on that title; the first post gives a link to the 10-week LC programme; the second post gives links to "read more" or "sign up" and also confirms that it is completely free.

I didn't actually go into the 'sign up' section, but I hope it works for you

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Crikey! Is that what you get when you sign in to the programme? Not particularly useful - or encouraging. In any case, if the links and info are no longer true, then they need to be changed. I'll tag @Administrator to see if this can be sorted for you, and confirmed one way or the other.

ps: perhaps @DCUKMod could help?