Skin hair nails

Cam372002

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I've been diagnosed diabetes 2 a month ago I have noticed my hair and nails don't grow as quickly as they used to also I do regularly wash and moisturise my feet but my whole skin is dry on face and body what can you recommend please thanks carole

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Make sure you are drinking enough and getting enough vitamins. I had this temporarily last week and made sure I moisturised at least twice a day and drank as much as my bladder would allow. I hope it gets better soon.

Reactions: Voodoorising

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I've been diagnosed diabetes 2 a month ago I have noticed my hair and nails don't grow as quickly as they used to also I do regularly wash and moisturise my feet but my whole skin is dry on face and body what can you recommend please thanks carole

I can recomend you to drink horsetail tea , take a complex of vitamin B´s and eat virgin coconut oil like a spoonfull a day, by the way virgin coconut oil is also good for dry skin as a moisturer...and it is totally free of bad chemicals

http://www.livestrong.com/article/128729-benefits-horsetail-tea/

but the most important is that you gain control of your blood glucose and get your numbers down to normal levels, the best and fastest way is to go low carbing..

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am a supporter of a local diabetes group where I live. Each month when we meet we have a speaker; sometimes diabetes related, and sometimes of a more social nature. In March we had a local podiatrist come to talk about foot care with diabetes, and one of the things she covered was dry skin.

As we all know, it is particularly important, as diabetics, that we look after our feet. Apparently, diabetics often have dry feet, and we must be careful not to let them develop hard or very dry skin. She recommended using foot balm, but particularly those containing urea. There were several nodding heads in the room.

I seem recall she talked about Flexitol and Eucerin cream/balm. They're not cheap, but apparently worth it

I'm fortunate to have "good feet", and they aren't particularly dry and I don't have hard skin, so I seem to get away with my usual Shea, Palm or Coconut Butter heavy creams. I'm an avid overall moisturiser.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
With diabetes, hydration is important. You will lose fluids more rapidly than others, so maintain fluid levels throughout the day.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Flexitol is incredible. I saw results in less than a week
My sister would agree with that - she's a podiatrist who regularly deals with the diabetic clinic - it isn't cheap - but it does the job. Ditto with Eucerin - if your skin is really dry use that - the high percentage cream heals cracks in a matter of a couple of days.