Skin issues at cannula insertion sites

lindaburner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had 2 sites where I’ve removed cannulas that have reacted badly and I would like to hear if anyone else has had a similar problem.

I have never had issues with adhesives or plasters, but these 2 areas on my lower stomach continued to scab over for months. I finally got to see a dermatologist at the suggestion of my DSN, who told me at clinic they had never seen anything like this.

I have recently had both areas scraped off & tested, & basal cell carcinoma diagnosed, probably due to trauma!!

I have been a pump user since 2014.

Attachments

• IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 144

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @lindaburner That looks a nasty reaction, I sometimes have sore spots but nothing like this - have you tried anything like Cavlon spray which is a skin barrier spray in case there is some sort of reaction to the adhesive ?

lindaburner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @lindaburner That looks a nasty reaction, I sometimes have sore spots but nothing like this - have you tried anything like Cavlon spray which is a skin barrier spray in case there is some sort of reaction to the adhesive ?

I’ve never heard of Cavlon. As I said have never had any adverse reactions to adhesives.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve never heard of Cavlon. As I said have never had any adverse reactions to adhesives.
Hi
Even before developing type 1 diabetes 3.5 years ago I have always reacted very badly to plasters or any kind of adhesive, almost like it’s burnt my skin. I have had a few operations and every time had a cannula that had to be moved due to swelling around the cannula and a nasty rash under the plaster around it. Even back in the 90’s when this first happened to me they said it was my immune system attacking the foreign object in my arm, hand etc and it’s unusual. If anyone finds a solution or also has this please post. I always worry if I need a pump what would I do, I don’t have much hope that I wouldn’t react to it.

@lindaburner zinc oxide sudocrem is for me the best thing to heal it up reasonably quickly. I have never heard of cavilon either but have just googled it and may get some in, thanks juicyj

Reactions: lindaburner

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Even if you have never had an adverse reaction, you still shouldn't rule it out, we evolve and change so you could of developed an allergic reaction, Cavlon is just a barrier spray so it's worth trying regardless.

Reactions: lindaburner

lindaburner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fair point. Thanks

QUOTE="Hertfordshiremum, post: 2440409, member: 507802"]Hi
Even before developing type 1 diabetes 3.5 years ago I have always reacted very badly to plasters or any kind of adhesive, almost like it’s burnt my skin. I have had a few operations and every time had a cannula that had to be moved due to swelling around the cannula and a nasty rash under the plaster around it. Even back in the 90’s when this first happened to me they said it was my immune system attacking the foreign object in my arm, hand etc and it’s unusual. If anyone finds a solution or also has this please post. I always worry if I need a pump what would I do, I don’t have much hope that I wouldn’t react to it.

@lindaburner zinc oxide sudocrem is for me the best thing to heal it up reasonably quickly. I have never heard of cavilon either but have just googled it and may get some in, thanks juicyj[/QUOTE]