Skipping a meal

laurenk978

I had a late breakfast and not hungry enough 4lunch which I should of had at 3:20pm but want 2hav dinner about 5/6ish! I've Nvr skipped a meal or insuline b4? Wat should I do? X

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lauren

I'm guessing that you have not been taught to carb count yet and you probably take a set amount of NovoRapid for each meal. If this is the case then wait until your next meal before taking your NovoRapid or you'll probably go hypo. Your Lantus should be keeping you blood sugar stable whether you eat or not (assuming it has been set right).

Garthion

Are you on MDI or mixed insulin?

(MDI is where you have 2 insulin types having one before bed/in the morning (long acting), and then the other with each meal(rapid acting)

If the former, then skipping the occasional meal should not cause too many problems, just be sure to check your blood to be on the safe side. If you're on Mixed insulin however, then you will definitely need to eat, as you will have too much rapid acting insulin in your system so your BG will not remain stable.

Hope this helps

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Should be fine Lauren as I see your on MDI, I know it's a bit late now but I regularly miss a meal and eat a little later if I'm busy or don't feel hungry, a basal/bolus regime does give you that degree of flexibility :)