Skipping injections

corasaurous

Hi to anyone who reads this, I'm a 17 year old insulin controlled diabetic. I was diagnosed when I was 5 and a half and unfortunately started skipping my injections when I was 11. I have only recently (the last 7 months) stopped skipping and started taking all of my injections. I went to a retina screening a few weeks ago and found out that I have damaged my eyes due to the 5 or so years that I had skipped. I'm not here to get sympathy or even praise for turning things around I'm here to tell and warn all young diabetics and older (but newly diagnosed either way) that skipping your insulin is bad for you and it will affect your health! People may ask 'How come your parents never noticed' the thing is for a while I was trusted with my injections but eventually my mum started to notice and obviously so did my doctors and although they desperately tried to stop me skipping I honestly believed that I wouldn't experience any problems. Hopefully I can turn my sight problems around, as my doctor has told me it is a possibility, but I really would like to warn anyone skipping that problems can and will happen to diabetes of any age! It is not worth it in the end. My schoolwork, friendships and health have suffered, so please seek help as soon as possible

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thanks for taking the time to post this and hopefully it may ring a chord with someone suffering the same issues. Good luck and I hope there is no permanent damage to your eyes.
Mo

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Hi corasaurus,

I'm sorry to hear that you're suffering sight complications as a result of your diabetes control - and especially in one so young.

You are very brave in revealing your symptoms - and the reasons for them... you are not alone or the first diabetic to fall into the cycle of skipping injections, cheating their Blood Glucose results and so on: I went through the same process during my teens.

I hope that your eye problems have been caught early enough to stabilise them and potentially undo some of the damage that has already occurred - your age, and the advances in diabetes and dietary knowledge and the technology are on your side - keep up your efforts to improve your balance and control.

I hope that all diabetics take note of corasaurus' advice and work together with parents, partners and friends to stay on the right track... as she says (and I also can testify), "it is not worth it in the end."

Best wishes to you all,
Conrad