Sleep and BS

AnnM99

Hi,
Can I ask.... Does sleep have a big impact on bs????
Im a teacher and feel quite anxious and stressed in term time. Now the holidays are here I'm sleeping much better.... 8 hours without waking and sometimes an afternoon nap. Feel very relaxed. Normally I wake every couple of hours in term time and bs are higher.
Just had a lovely low carb dinner tonight, cauli rice, chicken, coleslaw and FF Greek yogurt for dessert with blueberries, I then decided to shut my eyes infront of TV.... Woke an hr later.... Bloods 4.8. They were 5.0 before I ate and 4.8 was 2 hours later.
Bloods 5.1 when I woke this morning and not moved much all day.
Last test was 42, down from 86.
My question.... Does sleep and relaxation really impact this much?? Maybe it's just my food and used to my new life and food.
I'm always expecting a high reading but never above 6.4 these last 2 weeks. Usually up to 7.5 max.

Reactions: EllieM

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @AnnM99, I definitely find poor/not enough sleep and anxiety affect my BG, both on their own and together. I find I'm higher and more insulin-resistant.

P.s sorry have just seen you posted in the type 2 forum, I'm type 1 :nailbiting:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Im a teacher and feel quite anxious and stressed in term time. Now the holidays are here I'm sleeping much better.... 8 hours without waking and sometimes an afternoon nap. Feel very relaxed. Normally I wake every couple of hours in term time and bs are higher.
Just had a lovely low carb dinner tonight, cauli rice, chicken, coleslaw and FF Greek yogurt for dessert with blueberries, I then decided to shut my eyes infront of TV.... Woke an hr later.... Bloods 4.8. They were 5.0 before I ate and 4.8 was 2 hours later.
My question.... Does sleep and relaxation really impact this much?? Maybe it's just my food and used to my new life and food.
I'm always expecting a high reading but never above 6.4 these last 2 weeks. Usually up to 7.5 max.
Yes I’m a type 2 diabetic and have been eating low carb for more than four years so find that food rarely puts up my bg provided I stay low carb which I enjoy.however as a carer I find that anxiety and consequently poor sleep have a major impact on my bgs. I practice mindfulness meditation and find that if I can relax with meditation and improve my sleep my bgs respond by going lower. Worth looking at a way of managing stress and improving sleep to help manage your health. I use the Headspace app (there is also one called Calm) and also try to do as much walking as possible. Good luck with managing the start of the new term.

Last edited:

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Hi I'm also a teacher and have found my b.g is higher during term time when I do sleep a lot less.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, sleep and stress both cause it to rise.