Sleep Apnoea

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My husband T1 has just got an officila diagnosis of Sleep apnoea. I've realised for months he has it.Finally got him to the respiratory clinic. He will get an air mask soon.
The doctor said it could be responsible for some of the erratic BGs and hypos which have happened lately. Makes sense that if you don't sleep properly you get poor control.
Why don't they ask patients how they are sleeping?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
People with sleep apnoea don't always realise it ,Hana.It is usually the partner that does.My husband suffers from it and I usually have to give him a nudge every now and again when he stops breathing.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Thanks for the reference Catherine

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
I have sleep apneao, had it for over 10 diagnosed years and who knows how many undiagnosed :roll: I use a CPAP machine every night and have no problems anymore, occasional bad night, but don't we all :roll: I have a 12v lead as well as mains so i can use it in the truck if I need to do nights away or if we can't get electric hook up for the caravan. You'll find that the quality of life for both of you will improve once he's on the CPAP. Mine has a humidifier on too as the dry air was giving me a sore throat and a "smokers" cough.

If I can help at all with any questions, please ask.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Thanks cameraman
I sleep just fine now. We 2 people have a whole house to ourselves and I found another room. the cats stayed with Daddy.

Trinkwasser

Excellent call! Sleep apnea and both types of diabetes seem to go hand in hand, and like hypothyroid it can make a spectacular difference when properly treated. Someone I know elsewhere was shooting humungous quantities of insulin and getting massive BG swings, now she has her CPAP she is in much better control on much less. I hadn't realised quite what a difference it could make.

mgzteed

I was diagnosed 3 years ago after my wife's nightly prod didn't work too well, my blood oxygen levels were critically low and my heart didn't like it much.

The cpap machine is a wonder, a changer of lives but you have to make adjustments, like losing weight. Itd great for your partner too, they get proper sleep for a change. As I've only been diagnosed type 2 since late October its made little difference to my blood sugar levels, but then neither has the metformin or diet changes either.

Still cpap rules, believe me.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Hi mgzteed.
I am looking forward to quiet nights, especially after last night's adventures.
T1 has multiple problems which I hope will also improve, but we are still waiting for the testing gizmo to be delivered.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
hanadr said:
Hi mgzteed.
I am looking forward to quiet nights, especially after last night's adventures.
T1 has multiple problems which I hope will also improve, but we are still waiting for the testing gizmo to be delivered.

Hi Hana, I put you a reply in the other thread about your husband s bad night, didn't realiase he hadn't the machine yet. It will make a huge differnace to him, not just in the night but the day too, both pysically and mentally. It turned my life round when all I wanted to do was nothing as I was generally too tired and had that couldn't be bothered head on for most of the time :roll:

lilibet

Hi Hana

Peace at last! I also believe Sleep Apnoea is to blame for pretty hellish blood pressure results too as well as everything else

CurvyPixel

I've read a little about this on the web as I snore and wake up exhausted most mornings (mind you, I also have a 3 year old who wakes with the lark & expects everyone else to as well!). I usually go to bed around 10-1030 and the alarm is set for 6, though I'm usually awake just before... so I should be getting around 8hrs sleep a night. Somoe mornings though I feel like I've only had 4 hrs or so...

I've tried snoring stuff (sprays & those little nose plasters - cute, huh? :wink: ), and although they help a bit they're not great...

DH also snores & wakes "crackered" each day... maybe we both have it??

Please can someone explain a bit more about it & how to explain it to the doc as in the past when I've said I'm always tired to the point where i fall asleep whenever I sit down, he says, "Well, you do have 2 teaching jobs, a 3 year old, run a home & study as well... what do you expect??" (and as I write that, I can see his point...) :lol:

Thanks all...
Curvy P :D

C

catherinecherub

I posted a link to a web page earlier in this topic. It also covers snoring causes and possible solutions.
Hope this helps,
Catherine.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
CurvyPixel said:
Please can someone explain a bit more about it & how to explain it to the doc as in the past when

I can only explain what happens to me when I don't use the CPAP machine.

I wake constantly by stopping breathing then fall back asleep after taking a breath, this happens many times per minute therfore you "think" you are asleep but in fact are awake the vast majority of the sleep period. During the day I am tired to the point of collaspe, and my body often gasps for air, sucking in oxygen in huge sobs. I go very vacant and vague and can often just sit staring ahead and snore whislt awake as my airways open and close. I can cary out normal taks but when asked have no recolection of having done them or how they got done. Terrifying when you think I was doing long distance lorry driving on diagnosis! Sometimes when asleep I snore so loud that I wake up and look round for the noise. I've even been outside looking for the fool revving the motor bike at silly O'clock :oops: Maybe my wife should post on here as she could tell you lots of other things too. :evil: I've just asked her for a description and she says the sound I make snoring is not human, possibly like a freight train passing close by. She adds I wake constantly gasping for breath and sob during the day plus its the constant falling asleep during every waking moment during the day too. I hasten to add by use of the CPAP machine I manage quite normally and my life is now otherwise unaffected. If in doubt ask for a sleep study to done on you. When I was first diagnosed it meant being monitored by a huge machine and the CPAP was like a small suitcase too. Now its a small machine that clips onto your finger and worn watch like on your wrist :roll: The CPAP machine is small enough with all its bits and bobs, pipes and masks to be taken as cabin baggage on aircraft.

Hope this helps, any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Nice description of sleep apnoea ,Cameraman.My husband also 'howls' as he wakes and struggles to draw in breath,this can wake the most dedicated sleeper!!As you said ,it can be many times a minute.Sometimes can be stopped by lying on side but even there it can continue.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
sugarless sue said:
Nice description of sleep apnoea ,Cameraman.My husband also 'howls' as he wakes and struggles to draw in breath,this can wake the most dedicated sleeper!!As you said ,it can be many times a minute.Sometimes can be stopped by lying on side but even there it can continue.

Unfortunatley for me and my long suffering wife and kids, nothing except the CPAP machine did any good. I used to snore during the day whilst awake if sat still :lol: :roll: My wife used to prod me and say are you with us, wake up (or words to that effect) and then I'd get ratty and say I'm not snoring and so on :lol: :lol: The CPAP changed it all, and now she sleeps too.

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
We went down the earplug route, I was louder than the best money could buy
22937142bcl8g.gif

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I don't like earplugs anyway.the inside of my head makes more noise than the snoring!!! :lol:

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
sugarless sue said:
I don't like earplugs anyway.the inside of my head makes more noise than the snoring!!! :lol:

I don't have that problem, mines hollow :lol: