Sleep..does anyone remember that?

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Lately, I am really in need of sleep - yet it avoids me like the plague. I am working extra hours under heavy demands and this is the cause of my problem. Bgl's.. (don't ask!) are a problem due to the stressed environment, but I am finally moving out of the centre and into calm waters.

It is my own fault, because I am a dedicated workaholic. I thrive under pressure but I forget I am a diabetic with a heart condition, and my team have begun to realise this. They are now pushing me out of the mainstream to give me time to recover.

This is very touching....it makes me feel that I am appreciated. Ok....so now all I need is sleep! A little help here....?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Tired Nature’s sweet restorer, balmy Sleep!

He, like the world, his ready visit pays

Where Fortune smiles; the wretched he forsakes;

Swift on his downy pinion flies from woe,

And lights on lids unsullied with a tear.

(Edward Young)

Good luck, my man: if you breathe deeply, and count from 99 downwards, that should send you off to the land of nod.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Lavender oil is good for relaxation and sleep.

"Lavender is traditionally alleged to have a variety of therapeutic and curative properties, ranging from inducing relaxation to treating parasitic infections, burns, insect bites, and spasm. There is growing evidence suggesting that lavender oil may be an effective medicament in treatment of several neurological disorders. Several animal and human investigations suggest anxiolytic, mood stabilizer, sedative, analgesic, and anticonvulsive and neuroprotective properties for lavender. These studies raised the possibility of revival of lavender therapeutic efficacy in neurological disorders. In this paper, a survey on current experimental and clinical state of knowledge about the effect of lavender on the nervous system is given."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3612440/

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lately, I am really in need of sleep - yet it avoids me like the plague. I am working extra hours under heavy demands and this is the cause of my problem. Bgl's.. (don't ask!) are a problem due to the stressed environment, but I am finally moving out of the centre and into calm waters.

It is my own fault, because I am a dedicated workaholic. I thrive under pressure but I forget I am a diabetic with a heart condition, and my team have begun to realise this. They are now pushing me out of the mainstream to give me time to recover.

This is very touching....it makes me feel that I am appreciated. Ok....so now all I need is sleep! A little help here....?

try Valerian a traditional herbal remedy ? take one tablet about an hour before you are ready to try and sleep and it should help you drift off. Usual advice-have a warm (not too hot) bath to relax, switch off mobile phone and other devices, make sure bedroom is cool and ventilated and put a few drops of lavender essential oil on your pillow. No coffee or alcohol after 8pm.

works for me-hope some of that helps. Nothing worse than chasing the zeds xx

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
How about sleeping tablets, I couldnt sleep without them!

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Tired Nature’s sweet restorer, balmy Sleep!

He, like the world, his ready visit pays

Where Fortune smiles; the wretched he forsakes;

Swift on his downy pinion flies from woe,

And lights on lids unsullied with a tear.

(Edward Young)

Good luck, my man: if you breathe deeply, and count from 99 downwards, that should send you off to the land of nod.
Worth a try.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Lavender oil is good for relaxation and sleep.

"Lavender is traditionally alleged to have a variety of therapeutic and curative properties, ranging from inducing relaxation to treating parasitic infections, burns, insect bites, and spasm. There is growing evidence suggesting that lavender oil may be an effective medicament in treatment of several neurological disorders. Several animal and human investigations suggest anxiolytic, mood stabilizer, sedative, analgesic, and anticonvulsive and neuroprotective properties for lavender. These studies raised the possibility of revival of lavender therapeutic efficacy in neurological disorders. In this paper, a survey on current experimental and clinical state of knowledge about the effect of lavender on the nervous system is given."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3612440/
I have got to try that!

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

Can you have a set time you go to bed and make sure you do not use any electronics for an hour before that time? I like a cup of tea to go to bed with but I know a lot of people stop drinking tea and coffee hours beforehand. A warm bath if that relaxes you and when you get into bed do that mindfulness technique of being aware of you little toe, the next one etc etc working up your body until you are asleep or it is time to get up.
I have a before going upstairs ritual of checking the lights, doors, cats food and anything else that might cause me to have to get up and check all is well. That works best if I am last to bed.
I also keep a notepad and pen beside the bed because it is quicker to wake up and write down anything I have to remember in the night. Sometimes it is inspiration but usually it is lists. My written list is always shorter and more manageable than the ones that suddenly populate my head.
I also have a system for confirming I have taken all my medications (not diabetes related) by slipping a bracelet on a door handle. Just in case I cannot remember doing them.