Sleep issues with Diabetes

philm3ad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, type 1 since 2007.
I am currently having really sleep weird issues. I find i am getting mega hot and sweaty even when it is cold outside. My girlfriend is wrapped up in a cocoon where i am absolutely roasting. It seems to be at night and my BS levels are stable. I know its a long shot but has anyone else noticed this?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
do you check your blood glucose at that time ? I was facing like this when my blood glucose was going down.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you are having hypos continually or lows in sleep, you will get disruptive sleep patterns.
For T1s, Try and make sure you avoid them as much as possible.

philm3ad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No I didn't, but that's interesting, I usually check them a couple of hours before bed but not when i actually find the issue happening. May be its dropping straight down for some reason.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Definitely check your BS when you wake up in this state. I always wake up when I have an overnight hypo and rarely get back to sleep :-( Luckily they're not too often.

The previous 2 Sunday's I've woken up @ 02:30 ish and not made it back to sleep, no hypo's in these cases so something else is going on.

philm3ad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I usually find it kicks in just as im about to go to sleep which is whats so frustrating/weird

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No I didn't, but that's interesting, I usually check them a couple of hours before bed but not when i actually find the issue happening. May be its dropping straight down for some reason.

Ideally you should test just before bed, I find it reassuring knowing what my bg levels are before falling asleep.

Maybe for the next couple of nights test your bg levels two hourly to see what is happening.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, type 1 since 2007.
I am currently having really sleep weird issues. I find i am getting mega hot and sweaty even when it is cold outside. My girlfriend is wrapped up in a cocoon where i am absolutely roasting. It seems to be at night and my BS levels are stable. I know its a long shot but has anyone else noticed this?

Finally someone else! this has been happening to me for 6 months its killing me been for all sorts of tests at the drs so far nothing, they are doing a stomach emptying one next

Nick Loakes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you follow the dafne rules you should do a bm before going to bed and it should be between 6.5-8.0mmol if you still find your self going low maybe reduce your background insulin.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes - I definitely get this. And it's not related to hypos (or hypers) - I have Libre and/or CGM, so can tell that I am pretty stable overnight. It's quite weird!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find a small bite of peanut butter of 1/4 hot dog helps. I can't GET to sleep after taking lantus without a small far snack. Doesn't matter how tired I am either. I can be exhausted, take lantus and 2 hours wide awake. I have a few nuts or 1/4 dog and asleep I go

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, type 1 since 2007.

I am the same! Its driving me absolutely nuts. But mine is day and night.
My BS is definitely not going low as I have checked it on a number of occasions.
Its not menopause! I don't know if its the lantus or something else. I have to have some more blood tests and am also to have a sleep study as well. Apparently I have sleep apneoa as well as I am snoring.
It was bitterly cold today and everyone was in jackets and long pants out on the green. I was in a tshirt and had to roll up my pants I was sweating so much

Last edited by a moderator:

alaska

I get hot when my sugar levels are high or low. Even slightly high or slightly low seems to trigger it.

It's so reliable that my partner will feel my skin and if I feel warm, she'll tell me to test and invariably a high or low sugar level will be the result.

Low sugar usually brings additional symptoms. So, if feeling hot with no discernible hypo symptoms, it's very often at least a bit high.

When high like this, I'll uncover from the duvet because I feel too hot otherwise. I find it significantly more difficult to get to sleep when even a bit too high.

FreeStyle Libre is proving to be very useful for getting sugar levels on target before bed.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am the same! Its driving me absolutely nuts. But mine is day and night.
My BS is definitely not going low as I have checked it on a number of occasions.
Its not menopause! I don't know if its the lantus or something else. I have to have some more blood tests and am also to have a sleep study as well. Apparently I have sleep apneoa as well as I am snoring.
It was bitterly cold today and everyone was in jackets and long pants out on the green. I was in a tshirt and had to roll up my pants I was sweating so much
I have tested too and well within range. I chalked it up to lantus but have no idea why it does that. That's why a small bite seems to help.

Desbennett

Hi, type 1 since 2007.

So, if you have T1 diabetes, a good start is checking your blood if you're not feeling well.

Regardless of time of day or night, or situation, many things can affect your levels; emotions, stress, temperature, intimacy etc etc.

Use a bit of logic.

If your bloods are ok, then it's not necessarily diabetes related.

Have you checked your water? Do you have a UTI? You can buy test strips online for as little as £5 including postage, they will check all sorts of things in your water, including ketones - a must have in the house if you are diabetic.

lisa mcaneny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Don't like meat .
Ideally you should test just before bed, I find it reassuring knowing what my bg levels are before falling asleep.

Maybe for the next couple of nights test your bg levels two hourly to see what is happening.
hi, I have had sleep trouble for a while I kept jumping so I had test done now I sleep with a machine to help me through the night

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hi, I have had sleep trouble for a while I kept jumping so I had test done now I sleep with a machine to help me through the night

Right, well lets hope it helps you get a good nights sleep, was the test for Sleep Apnoea?