Sleep paralysis or heart attack???

elie1102

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hello, I am 32 years old. Ive been type 1 diabetic since 2011. My Last hb1ac was 6.4 8 month ago

I felt unable to breath and a pressure on my chest 5 to 10 seconds while i was sleeping, i felt i was going to die. I Woke up really scared and checked my glucose it was 310mg/dl or 17.2 mmol/l
Any tips for recognizing if its a serious problem or just a sleep paralysis?

Than you!

lindisfel

Expert
hello, I am 32 years old. Ive been type 1 diabetic since 2011. My Last hb1ac was 6.4 8 month ago

I felt unable to breath and a pressure on my chest 5 to 10 seconds while i was sleeping, i felt i was going to die. I Woke up really scared and checked my glucose it was 310mg/dl or 17.2 mmol/l

Than you!
During sleep paralysis the individual usually has hallucinations. You may for example see a light in the room and have an overwhelming feeling of terror and feel as if a heavy weight is pressing on one's chest, although it may still be actually completely dark. It is a condition that can occur intermittently for many years. This condition is also associated with lucid dreams, when you believe your are awake but you are asleep but know you are dreaming.
regards
Derek

Last edited:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Than you!
Hi @elie1102 I used to suffer from sleep paralysis when I was younger and it was really frightening because I couldn't move or even speak. I got used to it and simply stayed there until it went away which was usually within a minute or two but seemed a lot longer. I used to find that it was after I had woken up from a good nights sleep and then 'dozed' until it was time to get up - I think sometimes I used to go into a deeper sleep than usual. I now tend to read or use my iPad when I wake up in the mornings and I don't need to get up so early - I'm in bed at the moment with a nice cup of tea. However it would be a good idea to check with your doctor to confirm.

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have sleep paralysis. Abso bloody lutly terrifying. Even after all these years and knowing what it is I can still have the screaming terrors from it. There is a theory that this is where stories of ghosts etc start. When it happens I am convinced that someone has sat on the bed or moved the curtains etc. It is so real I can hear them breath and feel the covers move. And not able to breathe or move a muscle.

But you should certainly go and get it checked.