Sleeping with the light on?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to need the light on. I didn't feel safe without it. I've been ok sleeping in the dark for maybe 4 or so years now.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Never have, never will, never could and I sleep real!y well in the dark with blackout curtains!

Having worked nights most of my adult life, the need for me to be in bed in the dark night is so essential and crucial in my old age!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh boy, I used to keep a light on, even in hotels I’d have the bathroom light on so it wasn’t too dark. Didn’t knock that on the head until a few years ago. Now I like it really dark!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another excuse for insecure people, without being wokey.(No pun intended)

Darker the better for sleeping especially when doing shift work.

I can turn a light on for when I go out to the toilet during the night though, as the switch is within easy reach from the bed.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blind people oops vision impaired live in the dark 24 / 7 so they all must have tihs so called problem.

Reactions: Lamont D

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve always slept with some sort of light on, night terrors when I was little into my early teens so so scary, I’ve tried to sleep in total darkness a few times but end up so stressed and freaked for me it’s counter productive, hubby is away a lot so I’m on my own with just my son who has autism, I need some light to sleep

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When in hospital there was always some light. Even on the diabetes ward oh and also the cardiac ward so sleeping in darkness was not an option.
Oh and no one needs an excuse it's a matter of personal preference that does not require justification.

Last edited:
Reactions: RosemaryJackson

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
About to be commented on on Morning Live BBC1 Wednesday 16. Watched.
Only used as a lead-in to the very good news that all people with Type 1 in the UK are to be provided with a cgm on the NHS.
Now off to do 12000 steps with black coffee on route.

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm sure we all noted that this was a minimal study, not nearly enough to draw any conclusions.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This isn't new news either. I have heard this several times before.

I will try anything to lose weight and if sleeping with the light off helps I am trying it. I view it not as an excuse for being obese, but just a little something extra I can try to improve my situation, now that I have had counselling for the reason I needed the light on in the first place.

I would add though, sleep itself is the important thing and if someone can't sleep with the light off then it has to be better to sleep with it on. Sleep anxiety can cause stress which increases adrenalin, which in turn leads to cortisol in the body, which can result in weight gain.

Sometimes the choice is between something that is bad for us and something a little bit bad.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Anyway how else we going to keep Jinn or shadow people at bay.:wacky:

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I go round searching for anything emitting light and kill it.. got really good moving round my place in the pitch black

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I go round searching for anything emitting light and kill it.. got really good moving round my place in the pitch black
Hope you have no bioluminescent pets.

Oh and when do you manage to sleep while spending your time searching out the light.

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Always have night light on in bedroom and hall. Live on my own and partially sighted. My treat.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
As an ex shift working it doesn’t matter to me I could sleep on a razor blade light dark doesn’t matter , as far as helping or not helping with whatever ! There are so many theories about so many things I just do t get excited about much ! Am waiting for the survey that says breathing fresh air. Cures everything , when that happens knowing my luck someone will fill my nostrils with concrete .lol

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hope you have no bioluminescent pets.

Oh and when do you manage to sleep while spending your time searching out the light.
No glowing pets... I don't need to find the light switch I can just say.. hey Google....... still.l don't get much sleep as normally up just after 3am for work

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I could say Alexa goodnight but do not have my lighting connected to the system as yet so Alexa just says goodnight but every thing stays on that I have not switched off with the remote all the multi colour led lights and of course the screen of the echo show. oh and the essential oils diffuser.