FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
Hi There,

Never thought I'd visit a site like this, but so glad its here.
I was getting recurrent infections that only a man can get, Dr sent me for bloodtests and in passing said one was for sugar. A different doctor called me on the phone just last Friday, and after quizing me on whether I'd fasted told me I was diabetic as I had a level of 12.6, this was after a 14 hour fast. I did have a cholestorol tewst at the same time and that came out at 4. (no idea what that number means).

I'm 35 and go to Rugby training twice a week, I'm 206pounds but sort of rugby player build. Never expected to get Diabetes.
The Dr on the phone said its type 2 and said thin people dont get type 2, I got the feeling he was saying I'd caused it. I'm quite annoyed with myself, but not sure what I've done. I did go up to 217pounds last year so maybe thats it.

I've had a second test and a HBa1c (I think) test, for which I get the results tomorrow.

I go on a big holiday on Friday a week in DisneyWorld then a caribbean cruise for a week. Was so looking forward to it, but now im worried about what the Dr might ask me to do or if he gives me anything to take. I'll have to tell travel insurance too.

I was training on Sunday and my heart started racing, dont know if thats due to diabetes or if I'm just so worried about it now.

Just need to say a final arrrghhhhhhh!!!!

Sorry for the ramble, just a little scared and confused.

John

LouiseW

Hi Furrycub, Welcome to the Forum!!

I'm waiting for results too although I'm pretty sure I have some level of pre- or actual diabetes. We're leaving for holidays in a couple of weeks too - a week in Egypt and then a Mediterranean cruise.

You will find that most people on this forum try to control their blood glucose through attempting to severely cut down on carbs in their food. I too am trying this and intend to stick with it while on vacation. For me, low carb means focusing on meat and non-starchy veg. For me, this means really watching what I am eating, but not depriving myself of things that I enjoy.

It may seem overwhelming now, but Daisy will be in to give you some really good advice and an intro to how to take care of yourself.

Have fun on your vacation! I've been to both Disney World and on a Caribbean cruise. I'm sure you'll have a great time. If you have already paid for your trip insurance, if it's like here, they can't deny you coverage since you have just found out, after you bought it. And there's really no reason to change anything on your trip other than watching what you are eating, trying to avoid obvious sugar as well as starchy food such as potatoes, rice, breads, and pastries. Again, Daisy will help with more details on that too.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi furry, thin people get diabetes too, a few more myths will be dispelled along the way when you look around the forum.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi FurryCub and welcome to the forum :)

You will find lots of advice on here and if you ask questions there will always be someone to help. Here is the information we give to new members which I hope you will find useful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PETITION CLOSES ON 31 OCTOBER 2012 AT 1029 SO PLEASE SIGN NOW

Please sign our e-petition for free testing for all type 2's; here's the link:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/petition/

Do get your friends and colleagues to sign as well.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. One fasting blood test does not in itself define diabetes. The HBa1C or a GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) will. Don't worry about your travel plans. If you are diagnosed just tell you insurer. At the worst they might charge a small extra premium. They aren't too worried about those on tablets and even less if it's diet controlled. At this stage if you are diagnosed just reduce your carb intake and make the carbs lower-GI and your sugar levels should reduce. It shouldn't affect your travel plans at all even if you are put on some tablets which will be Metformin that nearly all of us have. If you are prescribed Metformin try to persuade your doc to prescribe the Slow Release version, SR, to lower the risk if stomach problems. I would avoid starting metformin just before a long plane trip for obvious reasons just in case!

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Furrycub, sorry about the diagnosis, I was diagnosed just over a week ago and this place is great for asking anything. I was diagnosed a day before going on holiday so I know how you are feeling.

Hope you have a good holiday.

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Welcome Furrycub. Firstly I think your doctor was wrong to give you the idea that you were the cause of your diabetes, it seems to me that you have an active lifestyle from what you have posted and there are so many factors that cause the onset of diabetes. As many people have said dont get into the blame game most of all dont let unsympathetic misunderstanding health people put that upon you (they are the few). My type 1 was caused by my alcohol consumption leading to failure of the pancreas, the way I see it I have got two choices, firstly I can go around sulking and take it out on myself (and I can get in a big pity party if I want to), second and this is the way I like, I can choose to get on with life and just accept this has happened and take things day by day striving to make the most of life and be as happy as poss.

You mentioned your heart racing, I have experienced that too after short periods of exercise before I went on treatment, do not panic what is happening is that you energy is reduced due to lack of insulin to provide the energy for your cells to respond. I can reassure you that when the right treatment is given to you a lot of that energy will return, remember just as myself you are in the early stage of treatment and your HB1Ac result can give them a pointer as to how you can be helped.

Hope this helps your concerns

Simon aka Cobra3164

foxy123

Hi Furrycub ,i was told i had diabetes ten days ago and still a bit freaked out by it ,what a shock and so much to get your head round .I find it so anoying when people say that to be type two you must be fat < part of me is angry i have diabetes i dont sit about i dont stop and also i am not over weight nor have i ever been .What im trying to say im a thin type that prooves all those dummies are chatting a load of rubbish :roll:

FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
I'm back from my holiday, which was great apart from having all my luggage stolen on the way to the airport! Arriving at a cold heathrow in shorts wasn't fun.

anyway, started taking metformin while I was away now up to 3x500mg a day and felling terrible. Got lots of stomach issues, need to be near the loo, a desperate craving for food then as soon as I start to eat naseua to the point of wanting to throw up. Still drinking lots of water and peeing a lot. Felling more tired than I did before starting metformin.

The chemist told me I'd feel much better after starting metformin. I feel significantly worse and I've only been on them 2 1/2 weeks. When should I start to get used to them?

Also my mother decided I should have a monitor as her friend has one. So get an accuview nano. My fasting bg has been 8.4 consistently from the day I started to today, so does this mean the metformin isn't working? I did some at 2 hours after food too my lowest was after lunch at 7.2 and highest after breakfast at 15.3.

I don't think my dr has done a type test as reading on here that's a blood test? He did a urine test and mumbled something about it being for protein, does that sound right? Should I ask for a type test?

I'm going to try and see the dr tomorrow, hopefully get some more answers but any advice what to say or ask for would be appreciated.

Oh and I've now lost the bg monitor as it was in my luggage

Cub

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, you certainly had some unfortunate things happen - hope it didn't spoil your holiday.

Might be worthwhile asking to be switched to the SR (slow release) version of Metformin as many people report less problems with it.

Since your blood glucose is still higher than recommended, I'd review the details that Daisy gave you earlier in this thread and try adjusting your carbohydrates down even further.

Best wishes,