Slim and Save

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think you should start with the buttery, creamy scrambled eggs. With salami. Quick as your microwave food and almost as hard to mess up!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have given up drinking hard spirits for Annunciation, but this mead quaffing sounds like it could be an effective substitute. Will I get a horn? Or is it just the Northern Ladies that get the horn?

Reactions: 3 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have given up drinking hard spirits for Annunciation, but this mead quaffing sounds like it could be an effective substitute. Will I get a horn? Or is it just the Northern Ladies that get the horn?

Come and join myself and Totto on a Scandinavian working holiday, learn to cook AND find out the finer intricacies of mead quaffing and horns for yourself ;):D:dead:

Signy

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haha
Methinks Spiker is not so vulnerable and helpless as he would have us believe. He is seeking attention from the ladies.
Spiker, get in the kitchen and cook up some decent grub for yourself boy. You know it makes sense.
:D

Reactions: 8 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haha
Methinks Spiker is not so vulnerable and helpless as he would have us believe. He is seeking attention from the ladies.
Spiker, get in the kitchen and cook up some decent grub for yourself boy. You know it makes sense.
:D
Rumbled. No more mead for me!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And (back to the boring old diet-blog) I finished the day with a MASSIVE Philly Cheesesteak. Good times! Half a pound of red meat slathered in its own weight of cheese. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

<- Happy Spiker

Reactions: 10 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good news bad news.

No strong cravings today. A couple of butter coffees were all it took to get me through the gaps between meals.

Bad news, another hypo.

It could be any number of things. I didn't take my own advice and check basal rate and ratios before starting the diet. That really does need to be the first step for any T1. So my ratios and bolus might have drifted off.

Also, and I think this is more likely, I have been using the pump IOB to sugar surf. Meaning I do corrections less than 4 hours post injection and rely on the Vibe's IOB calculator to compensate. Which normally it is amazingly accurate at. But I think it's not working on this diet food. As @Brunneria said, it's not far off a pure glucose hit. I guess it has a different blood sugar profile (=~GI) to normal food.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like all right thinking people I arrange to have my hypos outside the local branch of Thorntons. So, a small bag of special toffee later, the brain is coming back on line. (Who said "overtreating"? Quiet at the back!)

So, thinking this through, the IOB calculator isn't just making an assumption about how much insulin is "on board" and active in your blood stream. It's also, or rather the bolus wizard is also, making an assumption about how quickly your BG should rise and fall under the influence of a bolus dose. I suspect something about the Slim and Save packets is outside of the normal band. Probably a more rapid rise than normal. So if I test at +2 hrs the reading is higher than the bolus wizard would expect, and so it advises a further correction dose despite the IOB. The alternative explanation is that the Slim and Save stuff is delaying insulin absorption, but that sounds crazy, particularly as they are quite low fat.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
wot about adding fat and fibre (cream and psyllium husks to the shake?)
That would slow the rise AND fall, and make it seem more like a normal meal to the pump decision process.

How many of the dratted things have you got? is this something you are going to keep doing until you have found a way that works, because you've invested big bucks in a big box of the things?

I would understand that. But if it is only a small investment, then... those butter coffees and a vit/min supplement would probably do the job better...

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I bought a month's worth and also I don't want to give up. I want to make it work. Or at least give it my best shot.

I meant to get cream last night. I will get some today. The butter coffees are helping a lot. If I have one with each meal I should be OK. And cream in the shakes. And lay off the aggressive IOB surfing.

Thanks for your help and support, I really appreciate it.

Reactions: 5 people

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Spiker, I was just about to mention.....and then read you have a months worth of supplies!

But will mention anyway, if you really really really don't want to cook, are any of the low carb meals and snacks on the 'natural low carb store' website any good to you Only tried the bars for on the go breakfast, they tasted ok. (Sorry, not figured how to insert flipping web links on ipad!)

Ps. Can you post a picture of your months supplies?! x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, you know how you can demonstrate that gratitude... ;)

I'll send the GPS coordinates to my bat cave via PM.

Reactions: 6 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like all right thinking people I arrange to have my hypos outside the local branch of Thorntons. So, a small bag of special toffee later, the brain is coming back on line. (Who said "overtreating"? Quiet at the back!)

So, thinking this through, the IOB calculator isn't just making an assumption about how much insulin is "on board" and active in your blood stream. It's also, or rather the bolus wizard is also, making an assumption about how quickly your BG should rise and fall under the influence of a bolus dose. I suspect something about the Slim and Save packets is outside of the normal band. Probably a more rapid rise than normal. So if I test at +2 hrs the reading is higher than the bolus wizard would expect, and so it advises a further correction dose despite the IOB. The alternative explanation is that the Slim and Save stuff is delaying insulin absorption, but that sounds crazy, particularly as they are quite low fat.

I'm intrigued - is there anything that could be a culprit in the ingredients list ? Or a combination of ingredients that may cause this effect ?

Hats off to your hypo radar - if I ever hypo in towns it always seems to be outside Primark, Halfords or some Airfix type model shop. Never, ever, Thorntons ! :rolleyes:
Signy

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
box2.jpg
Ps. Can you post a picture of your months supplies?! x
Sure!

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hats off to your hypo radar - if I ever hypo in towns it always seems to be outside Primark, Halfords or some Airfix type model shop. Never, ever, Thorntons ! :rolleyes:
Signy
Picturing you hypo and rabidly chomping on bicycle tyres, £2 pajamas or a plastic model Spitfire. No, that's not going to work too well! :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm intrigued - is there anything that could be a culprit in the ingredients list ? Or a combination of ingredients that may cause this effect ?

Signy
The predominant ingredients in the shakes are skimmed milk powder, milk protein, soya powder and soya oils. So maybe.

For now I am going to add lots of fat and subtract any IOB surfing, and see how I go.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I hear the polystyrene cement used in airfield gluing is quite carby, but causes your teeth to stick together. Much like Thorntons special toffee in fact...

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The ever-entertaining Rhubarb and Custard Shake

169 kcal
15 gch
14 gpr
3gf

With all of these shakes I find you need to rinse the shaker within a minute of mixing. Pour into a glass and give the shaker a good hard rinse. Otherwise the gloopy residue starts turning to concrete. Three minutes is literally too late, you need to put the shaker in the dishwasher or proper washing up. I do have 3 shakers but who wants the hassle of that?

Also, if you are hungry or carb cravey you will find yourself swilling out the shaker and drinking the diluted gloop. Hungry for every last half gram of carbs. But all of this is in the past now, before we had the Big Fat Solution. Fat is our friend.

So I am having the shake with a butter coffee. That's my new plan. Butter coffee with every 'meal', and butter coffees between meals as required if I feel peckish at all. I'm treating the butter coffee as a free food, but I suppose I should quantify the amount of butter I'm putting in. I'm just cutting a slab of butter by eye, but it works out to be about 25g - 1oz of butter. So that's about 20gf. I probably need to think about the effect the fat is going to have on my carb ratio, at some point. Also about the caffeine. I don't normally have loads of caffeine. Maybe it would be better if I got some decaf.

I am dosing for protein as well carbs, at my usual protein ratio which is 1/3, ie. 3gpr = dose for 1gch. We'll see how that goes.

On top of everything, it looks like I've been fighting a throat infection the past few days and it's been pushing my BG up. Just what I need! I've changed all the pump gubbins so it's not a pump problem. It does seem to be infection and not the 'meals' because I see it happening 24 hours a day, regardless of whether I have eaten recently or not. Diabetic life is never simple eh?

It's probably worth stating that my main goal in doing this Slim n Save version of LCHF is to get my BG down and stable. Yes I could lose a few pounds but that's not the main objective. The really critical objective is to get BG down and stable. My random BGs have been high for months, and my Hba1C continues to be poor. I know that LCHF works, I know it works for me, I just need to find a way of maintaining my own compliance. This is my latest attempt. It's trying to eliminate one of my main modes of falling off the wagon, which is to get stressed (inevitable), engage my stress-> food response, have nothing low carb in the house or office, and step outside to get some carby ****. Game over. I want to permanently surrounded by 'safe' LCHF options so that my stress-> food response isn't catastrophic. I also need to get into the virtuous cycle of high fat intake eliminating carb cravings. That makes it 100x easier to resist my carb-seeking response to stress.

Reactions: 8 people