Slim and Save

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is not an advert for them. They don't sell to Type 1 diabetics anyway.

However today I have embarked on low carbing again, using their VLCD products which are reasonably cheap (about a quid per meal) and reasonably tasty. I've had some luck in the past with these, mainly they are quite good for eliminating cravings, for me at least.

So far today I have had

Mint Chocolate shake: 6 gch / 16 gpr / 5gf / 152 kcal
Chocolate orange bar: 18 gch / 11 gpr / 5gf / 167 kcal
Chilli meal: 13 gch / 13 gpr / 4gf / 140 kcal

I am probably going to stay away from the bars, except in emergencies, as they are quite carby.

Anyone else have experience with using Slim and Save?
Lighter Life, you can't get on without a doctor's note, and Exante I found I didn't like the taste.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well that went well... not.

I went for my non-packet meal which was a awesome goats cheese and aubergine thing followed by chicken Milanese with green salad. I was half way through the starter when I started going hypo. Cue a horse trough full of glucose to pull me out of it.

It's my own fault because I knew I should not be bolusing for the protein in the Slim n Save stuff this early on. I need to wait to adapt first before I start bolusing protein. Even if that means going high for the first couple of days. Patience, Spiker, patience!

Oh well tomorrow is another day.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is not an advert for them. They don't sell to Type 1 diabetics anyway.

However today I have embarked on low carbing again, using their VLCD products which are reasonably cheap (about a quid per meal) and reasonably tasty. I've had some luck in the past with these, mainly they are quite good for eliminating cravings, for me at least.

So far today I have had

Mint Chocolate shake: 6 gch / 16 gpr / 5gf / 152 kcal
Chocolate orange bar: 18 gch / 11 gpr / 5gf / 167 kcal
Chilli meal: 13 gch / 13 gpr / 4gf / 140 kcal

I am probably going to stay away from the bars, except in emergencies, as they are quite carby.

Anyone else have experience with using Slim and Save?
Lighter Life, you can't get on without a doctor's note, and Exante I found I didn't like the taste.
Wow, @Spiker,
Is this the best way for you to low carb? Why VLCD. Products?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gorgeous!

Is this a LC thing, or a weight thing, or both?

If it's LC only, why not chug some cream in your shake? It would even out the peaks and troughs...
And if it's a weight thing, do you know your body's carb tolerance? You might still find the cream helps.

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's a Lazy Man LC Thang, @Brunneria honey. :)

As my culinary skills are limited to tearing open paper packets. In fact I get that badly wrong about one time in three.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow, @Spiker,
Is this the best way for you to low carb? Why VLCD. Products?
It's the laziest way I can possibly think of to Low Carb. Maybe not the healthiest. But one of the main ways I fail on Low Carb is by not having the right stuff to hand when I need to eat. This way I have a cupboard with about a hundred meals in it at any one time.
My long term plan is that eventually I will get bored with the Slim n Save food and the boredom will force me to make real low carb food again. :)

Reactions: 10 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Today is another day. I successfully opened the paper packet with the flair of Heston Blumenthal.

Strawberry shake

12.5 gch
12.5 gpr
3 gf
132 kcal

Only bolused for the carbs this time

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My long term plan is that eventually I will get bored with the Slim n Save food and the boredom will force me to make real low carb food again. :)

Are you bored yet? :) I've got to say that the menu above doesn't sound too appealing...I'd rather have bacon and egg ;)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you bored yet? :) I've got to say that the menu above doesn't sound too appealing...I'd rather have bacon and egg ;)
Fair point. :)

I'd rather be bored and low carbing than excited and not low carbing though. If I had to choose. I don't mind so much having boring food. My normal low carb diet is sausages and coleslaw pretty much every day. I am the sort of person who likes routines.

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be fair...I've only just started low carbing at the weekend, so I'm still learning...but I've done a fair bit of research because I was worried that my diet would be quite limited...which would just bore me senseless and make me give up almost straight away...I like a bit of variety in my food. So far it's not been too bad...but I've had to be quite on top of it and very organised in making lunches and preparing things in advance...which I find quite frustrating...because like you...I too can be a bit lazy...but a little effort goes a long way...and good food is definitely worth the effort in my opinion.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To be honest I like cooking in the evening, but in the morning when I am heading to work or lunchtime at work I want something that takes no time and no thought. The meal plan involves one proper home made low carb meal per day plus two or three packets. I can have a fry up at the weekends but I might wait until I have lost a bit of weight as I am quite porky at the moment. Which is what happens when I don't watch my diet at all.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Natalie1974 I am a terrible example to low carbers! If you look in the low carb recipes and "what have you eaten today" threads you will get loads of fantastic ideas.

I started this thread really as the exact opposite of all that lovely gourmet low carb food. :)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a Lazy Man LC Thang, @Brunneria honey. :)

As my culinary skills are limited to tearing open paper packets. In fact I get that badly wrong about one time in three.
And how do you propose to develop your cooking skills? How difficult is a boiled egg and mayonnaise? That's my current breakfast. Or make that two eggs.

I' count most things that comes out of packets as frankenfood.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well, like I said, I am not trying to set an example for anyone, just trying to find something that works for me.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you search on Youtube there are a heap of "prepare a week's worth of food in 1 hour" / "batch cooking" types of videos - check out a lady called Orleatha (forget her surname) - she's also LCHF.

Reactions: 3 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my gods ! :eek:
This is desperate ! I think emergency low carb food parcels are called for ! :eek:

" Save the Spiker" , now ! Anyone up for a "Carb Aid" concert ?

Signy

Reactions: 15 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
image.jpg

Reactions: 10 people