Slimming World

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi, I haven't been very active here for a while. My Diabetes has not been well controlled in the last couple of years. I think although I did well eating on Low carb for a few years and my figures were great, it just wasn't sustainable for me.

I have since discovered Slimming World, and now have a doctor referal which means I get 12 weeks FREE!!! Bonus! I feel that with their healthy eating optimisation I can fit it so much easier into my life. I can eat bread and cereal and potatos if I want. I don't tend to have bread if I have cereal as I would then have to syn it, and I'm so used to not eating bread. I have rediscovered a love of fruit. I'm careful not to over eat fruit and other sugary items.

Anyway I have been going for 5 weeks and am hoping to get my 1 stone award tonight (fingers crossed). For the first time I feel like this is how I can get my weight and diabetes back under control. I can follow the plan and keep my carbs reduced for my sugar levels.

I hope I have inspired others to give it a go, if your current diet is not working.

Reactions: brianzion_

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the weight loss, that's brilliant!

What sort of BS levels do you see after eating bread, cereals, potatoes and fruit? If you stay low and controlled, I am envious!

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I'm not controlled. My theory is the weight loss will inturn help too. I have swapped cereal this week for eggs for breakfast as I suffer with high numbers in the morning. I'm testing very rarely. For example Tuesday after work before dinner I was 10.6. By swapping the cereal for eggs in the morning Wed before dinner i was 8.2. It's still too high, but helping. Also this morning I had my first false hypo. (i didn't test) but felt rather dizzy for a while. This is all positive. I'm trying not to get too hung up on numbers. When I did low carb I was testing all day and even testing my urine to see if I was in ketosis. I'm trying to live life but in a healthier way if that makes sense?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't say I agree with your choices (other than changing cereals for eggs) as I concentrated on blood glucose control from the start, 3 years ago now, and my large weight loss was just a bonus, but I wish you luck. :)

Reactions: coleyd

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But don't you find that by testing and seeing better numbers it spurs you on to maintain your way of eating? Looks like you were doing pretty well on low carb so why isn't it sustainable for you? I would worry about eating so many carbs on slimming world as you seem to know already they aren't good for your control

Reactions: coleyd

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I did low carb for about 5 years. I lost a good chunk of weight but would end up falling off the wagon every now and then. In the end I fell off and binged and ended up over several months putting all the weight back on. I kept telling myself I'd go back to low carbing but it just didn't happen. I work full time and have a part time job too. This I have found is a compromise. I'm still lower carb, but low fat too. It's working for me. I just wanted to let others know that what works for you is the right thing for you.

I was obssessive with the low carb, food and numbers was all I thought about. Now I'm actually getting on with my very busy hectic life but also losing weight and getting better blood sugars. Surely that's the most important thing for anyone here?

Barbja

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been thinking of slimming world for ages, my go referred me to a now defunct group which seemed to be composed of 'I say eat this'. And exercise but no real help.

Fingers crossed, my GOP will refer me too!!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Lenny3 I get why you would go slimming world, although I have a home gym and a rehab clinic (in my silent partner business), I like the company of going to a gym for some of my workouts, I imagine the comradery of collective weight loss and experiences helps with motivation. I have a friendly concern about the blood numbers your slimming world diet is delivering, as these are relatively high. Clearly with the weight loss you are motivated, but it sounds like you have food choice fatigue. Maybe this can be dealt with by researching Instagram, YouTube and Facebook for LCHF ideas that you can substitute for the carby choices. Or create a thread saying what you bored of and what ideas members have to help

Your initial blood sugar figures were not off the chart, so your pancreas / liver are probably in good shape to get superb control with the right input from you. Just checked Slimming Worlds website http://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/health/how-sw-works/food-optimising.aspx, this is not really a Type 2's diet in my opinion. I wish you well, and hope you get your numbers down by whatever your choose.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Aww good luck my hubby is non diabetic and losing weight with sw but I had to stop it due to the Carbs I can't eat many carbs and my main goal is controlling the number I see on my meter

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I get what people are saying. When I say I used to low carb, I'm talking VERY low carb like 30g a day. Now I'm probably around 100g a day, i don't measure. I can't remember the last time I had bread. Yes I had been eating cereal, mainly for the convenience. Yes I have started eating apples, pears, plums oranges, but again not masses.

Those blood sugar reading were this week. My last Hba1c was so awful I can't remember it, think it was in the 10% area.

βɪℒʟẙ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all..

Im T1 since 1991. My mrs joined sw in Jan and ive been doing the diet with her (not that im over weight) 6 weeks now. I average 80g carbs per day and my bloods have never looked so good. I use an app to track my bloods/carbs/exercise etc.. I have a hba1c of 40.3 (this is estimated by the app). This is a massive change from it being 80+ late last yr.

The diet seems to work for me but as with many things it may not work for others

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are excellent results on SW because they say it is not a diet but a life style change in eating habits and although it can be quite high carb they will make adaptations for diabetics...My daughter is not diabetic but there were some with diabetes in her SW group who were pleased with their weight loss. She wanted to loose just over a stone in weight she had tried all the other diets as well as Weight Watchers to no avail she always put the weight back on. She reached her target weight on SW and goes to a meeting occasionally now to be weighed she has not put any weight on again and still eats the same SW way she said she would never go back to the way she did eat before SW